• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range rod for longer barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do you guys prefer to use for a range rod for smooth bore musket other than the ramrod that comes with them? I have a Pedersoli 1795 Springfield that is several inches longer than any other rifle I have owned in the past and the ram rod works OK but can get hard on the fingers in short order when used for cleaning...

4' X 1/4" steel rod bought at local building chain store 6.75-tap 2.00 die 3.50-bore protector 2.50 jag 2.50..once you buy the tap and die you can make a bunch of them one for each gun..or just go buy one and pay the price.5/16 or 3/8 will work also.Go for it if your handy.

3/8" x 1/8" bore brass tubing. Terribly useful stuff to have around.
For a range rod cut off what you need and tap the end to suit.
Want to power flush the breech? Put the tube on a water hose.
Need a ramrod extension adapter? Cut off a piece and tap both ends.

GoodCheer said:

I've had this thought myself since getting a pinned barrel Flintlock...did you solder a hose coupling on one end, or is there some sort of ready made adapter that works?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Dewey coated rod for a range rod.
It's covered in rubber and won't scratch the bore or crown of the barrel.
They make a long one for Sniper rifles in .50cal.

roundball said:
GoodCheer said:

I've had this thought myself since getting a pinned barrel Flintlock...did you solder a hose coupling on one end, or is there some sort of ready made adapter that works?

Available chinese replacement hose ends are all aluminum so duct tape and a hose clamp saved the day. Reckon some JB Weld would make one permanent. Kinda been tinkering with the idea of an outdoor cleaning stand with a fitting on the bottom to attach the hose to. Thought about an inline tank and what common household chemicals would be useful to put the finishing touch on removing residues...and decided the concept was getting out of hand.

GoodCheer , where did you find the brass tubing ??Like your idea, if I can find brass tubing I'll give it a whirl . :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Got it at Morris Metals in Houston.
Lots of other places sell tubing but I got it there because they would sell it in twelve foot lengths instead of greater minimum quantities.

Latest posts

Back