• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rant: buyer beware

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
justlearning said:
Is there a millisecond where the frizzen is moving faster than the flint and creates a air gap before the flint hits it again? Now the flint hits the frizzen a second time at a very bad angel?

Sounds good to me, I'll add this 'late collision = flint eater' to the list I keep in my head :thumbsup:

I don' tknow Chuck Dixon, or if he imbibes, but if it were me ... they're either be a bottle of the finest Southern whiskey on his doorstep or a gift certificate for dinner for him and Mrs. on his doorstep at the soonest.

Honest, fast, and FREE work like that needs to be appreciated and recognized!

Ya gotta remember that makers get these types of calls on a regular basis. In probably 90% of the time, there is no real problem, other than operator error.

While that may be the gospel truth... another reality is that as a result of this transaction, one business may have lost a potential future sale, and another business may have picked up one with just a bit of effort and customer service...

Hey justlearning,

Regarding the flints dulling quickly, besides the problem with the long screws catching on the cock, you may need to make another adjustment that will reduce the amount of knapping required on your flints.

Make sure the flint is hitting the frizze at a 55° to 60° angle and you will not only get very long life out of your flints, they will be pretty much self knapping. Do whatever you need to do to get that angle. Bevel up, bevel down, move the flint back a bit, move it up....whatever it takes. At half cock the flint should be close enough to the frizzen that you can see what the angle will be when it hits it.

When you get it set right it will slice the frizzen instead of impacting it too directly and crushing the edge of your frizzen or hitting it at such a steep angle that it misses most of the edge and hits the top of the flint knocking big chunks off the bottom of it.

I almost never knap my flints because this angle keeps it virtually self knapping, and I get good long life out of every flint.

Hope this helps!

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

I too live in the Lehigh Valley, I am hoping to get over to Dixon's before the October eary muzzle loader season.

The people at Dixon's are awesome.. They set me up with all the materials I needed for a double barrel shotgun I bought last year, gave me a load chart for the old 12 ga. too! Great people!

Shotgun shoots excellent.. Can't wait to try it out on rabbits and squirrels this year!

I am glad your flintlock is working for you! Happy shooting!

Latest posts

Back