• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rate of twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewinn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
As someone of you know I have a 8" Pietta 1858 New Army. Last night I did some looking and everything I read said that the 1858 has a 1:30 twist. Being curious I put a piece of tape on a cleaning rod and ran it down the barrel. What I got was a 1/2 turn which to me would mean that the rate of twist would be 1:16. Could this be correct or was I doing it wrong?

If you used a patched cleaning jag that tightly engaged the rifling and it rotated 1/2 turn in 8 inches of travel as you moved it down the bore then yes, it has a rate of twist of 1:16.

You might want to check this by moving the tight fitting patched jag only 4 inches down the bore.

If your first measurement was correct, 4 inches of travel should rotate the jag 1/4 of a revolution.

When did you get the gun? What are the date codes on it?

The newer ones have a faster twist wich some believe its for the conversion cylinders it can help stabilize a conical bullet faster

Even though its a faster twist IMO it only benifits us if the lands and grooves are deep enough that after a few cylinders the fouling doesnt clog up the twist that it stops helping.

If you look at some of the best target BP guns they have huge deep grooves and can shoot many times and still be good on accuracy. These guns you would be lucky to get 6 shots before it needs cleaned. Least thats what ive found.

I bought the about 3 weeks ago. Not sure about the date code. Where is that located? I'll try running the rod only 4" inches and see what I get.

Actually just checked it only going 4" and it turned 1/4. I also looked and on the frame I found a CM in a square box. Is that the year of production code? If it is what year was it made?

I checked my Pietta '58 that was bought at Christmas and it also has a 1:16" twist. I'm not sure when they changed it from a 1:30", but the newer ones certainly are 1:16". And mine has the 5.5" barrel so it's just a simple one.

Well I'm glad they did because I really want to try using either kaidos 220gr or 240gr conicals and the faster twist would be more suitable for stabilizing the longer concials.

I have a 1858 New Army by Pietta that has a date mark of CC which I am going to guess is 2008 based 0on the date marks supplied by CKeshen. I checked the twist rate on my pistol and it has a twist rate of 1:30. I guess that it won't shoot modern cartridges very well but that is okay because I plan to shoot only black powder and lead balls. It's interesting that they make the revolvers with different twist rates.

It appears this change was made in late 2012. We have had several Pietta 1858s from this year and the early ones have slow twist with seven lands and grooves while the later ones have the faster twist and six lands and grooves.

Interesting. Might have take a look at these new ones. Anybody know for sure if it's just the 1858's or maybe the 1860's also? The 1860's would really interest me more because they were engineered from the git go to be loaded with bullets.

Hi Goodcheer. I just bought my Pietta and it's an 1858 New Army. Not sure about the 1860s but if you read my original topic I checked mine and I really believe it's a 1:16 twist. Checked it a couple of times just to make sure.

I found that putting grease on top the balls after the cylinder is loaded definitely coats the bore and I can shoot an afternoon without swabbing the barrel. I have not noticed a loss of accuracy. But I have not tested either

zimmerstutzen said:
I found that putting grease on top the balls after the cylinder is loaded definitely coats the bore and I can shoot an afternoon without swabbing the barrel. I have not noticed a loss of accuracy. But I have not tested either

Ive used the bore butter and the Tompson center T7 and they both still dont help the fouling enough to match the accuracy of a freshly cleaned barrel.

Here is my results.
CleanvsDirty_zps267b9b9a.jpg

If i dont swab the barrel the grups open up, this is only at 15 yards. I tried T17(the blue stuff), swiss and pyrodex and i can get pretty decent groups when its clean after that the next few cylinders just go down hill.

Now maybe if i keep the barrel warm and swap in another cylinder it will stay consistly accurate but ive never donw any barrel swapping. By the time i reload another cylinder the barrel is cold and maybe thats the issue?

And it cant be from substitues because ive tested this with swiss AND with Goex and i get the same results the powder type doesnt matter.

Simply amazing! :shocked2:

A topic dealing with the actual twist found in a pistol barrel vs the published twist that Dixie Gunworks (among others) has published for years suddenly becomes a topic dealing with fouling and ball lubes! :rotf: :rotf:

Maybe we can get back on topic and find out what sort of barrel twists the Remingtons, Colt Walkers and other Cap & Ball pistols have? :)

Back