• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Raw cow horns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billholmes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all, I am looking for a source of raw cow horns. The only place i have been able to find them lately is TOW but they are a bit high to what I have been paying.
Appreciate any help.

Thanks, Bill

Nice web site. Looks like they have every thing you need. Good info on horn selection. I like that blowin horn. That should make the neighbors happy. Want one bad. :) Thanks Snake Eyes.

When I was up at Log Cabin (2-21 09) I looked at their horn blanks . They were 25.00. They were nice and were pretty white to draw on. They had really gone up since I was there last. A thick junk one was 10.00. Dilly

Heed Snakeeyes advice and deal with Powder Horns and More. Very good people to deal with. You can call them with your needs and they will fill them and you won't be disappointed. Just be sure you make it clear you don't want any 'oval' horns unless that's what you're looking for. Other than that; happy horning.
Gary :thumbsup:

Don't you have a meat processor somewhere nearby?
The one I deal with usually sells his horns to someone who comes around every few months to collect them, but they will sell me a few every now and then. Cheap. $2.00 to $5.00 usually.

However, the drawback is that these are raw, green, and yucky. I let them air dry for at least a year before I even think of using them. Stinky, too!

Billi,

I just recieved two horns from Powderhorns and More and couldn't be happier with them. John and Linda are good people to work with. I believe you'll be happy with them. :thumbsup:

Put the raw horns in a carboard box, and cover the horns with Borax detergent. It will kill the odor by killing the bacteria, and will dry out the core of the horn in the process, so it can be more easily removed. Save the Borax. It can be reused. You may have to run it through a screen if you get debris in the Borax from the core, but that is a fairly simple thing to do.

You will probably have to boil the horn OUTSIDE, and DOWNWIND, but if you put baking soda in the water, even the smell will be vastly reduced if not totally eliminated. Boiling will loosen that core so you CAN remove it. You can even add some liquid detergent to the water, to help in freeing that core, and killing any remaining bacteria that is giving off that rotten smell.

When you remove the horns from the boiling water, hook and pull out the core as soon as possible, and get rid of it. Bury it, put it in a plastic garbage bag- whatever-- but get rid of it. They do make decent fertilizer, but then so do rotting fish! Then, give the horns a coat or two of protective oil, on both the inside and outside. Be liberal in how you swab oil on the inside. This will help keep the horn soft to work on, and keep it from checking or splitting. The oil can be removed when you finish scraping the insides to get it smooth, and round for your base plug.

Tandy Leather quit selling cow horns awhile back and say their out of the individual horn business. Any store that still has them will not be able to re-supply! When there gone...kaput!

Crazy Crow just has the over polished imported from India cow horns and most only make SO SO powder horns! Crain's Muzzleloading Supply is another good source!

Good cow horns are getting rarer every year, due to MAD COW and breeders not wanting horned cattle due to feed yard and transportating injuries! The American Cattle Breeders Assn. supports breeding non-horned breeds and marketing! Sad but true!

You can always find good horns on ebay. When I've worked with horns having a core, I boiled them out. I srewed a big screw in to give me something to pull with and pulled the core out after boiling.

Back