• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Real black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKVirginia

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been shooting my TC Hawken .45 with Pyrodex P thus far, and can't seem to get it to group for beans (though part of this is likely that I'm a dead poor shot with open sights due to lack of practice). I've seen it said that getting some real bp will often tighten up groups by a noticeable margin, and noticed sometihng odd at my gun store today.

Pyrodex, T-7, and BlackMag 3 are all out on the shelf for public access. When I inquired at the counter, I was told they did indeed carry Goex, but it was stored in the back and they'd have to get it for me.

Now that I think about it, I've NEVER seen genuine BP out on the shelf at a gun store. Why d'you figure this is? (I LIve in Virginia, if this makes a difference)

Jon.

Wow. Is it really that much more volatile than the modern substitutes, or is that just a bit of regulation that hasn't caught up to the Pyro, etc?

Just yore tax dollars at work. Black powder is classified as an explosive but pyrodex and other substitutes are propellants.

Wow. Is it really that much more volatile than the modern substitutes, or is that just a bit of regulation that hasn't caught up to the Pyro, etc?

More volatile than the BP subs, much lower ignition temperature.

To your question, I used Pyrodex in .45/.50/.54 calibers of TC Hawkens for several years and found it to be very accurate.

When I switched to flintlocks, I had to switch to real BP and settled on Goex...then I also rezeroed my percussions with Goex so I'd only have one powder to use...I didn't notice any accuracy improvements.

FWIW, having used both Pyrodex and Goex now and looking back on it, whatever Hodgdon's motivation was for making an equivalent BP substitute powder, I think they did a pretty good job of it

Also worthy of notice is the fact that the BP is actually a buck or so cheaper a pound for Goex vs Pyrodex, which I suspect is unusual. Everywhere I've looked has listed Pyrodex as being cheaper.

The only store in my city that carried BP stopped because of the insurance rates for storing the powder. Now I wait until the winter nationals come to town and buy my powder there.

Hey....
I just looked for BP all over my home town in west virginia......cant find it anymore.....
everybody had pryodex though.....
I need the REAL stuff in my flinter....
I do not want to pay HAZMAT prices either....
I JUST LOVE OUR GOVERNMENTS REGS.....dont you?
Gotta a gun show next week.....hope somebody has the real stuff...
Things sure were much nicer back in the 70's.....
Wish I could turn back the clock....
just my 2 cents worth
************** WEST VIRGINIA SCROUNGER *********

TOW sells B.P. in 25 lb. lots for just over $11 a pound. If you don't want that much yuorself, maybe you can split a shipment with some friends. This price includes shipping and Haz-Mat fees. I doubt you'll find any of the fake powders for that price.
Powder, Inc. will ship in smaller lots-5, 10 etc. Both have web-sites. Both will deliver, via UPS, directly to your door.

I bought 5 lbs of Goex BP from Powder Inc. in Clarkville, Arkansas for $86 shipped to my door and that includes haz mat price for UPS. That is still cheaper than Pyrodex or any other substitute.

Jim in Idaho

WV,

Where are you at in West-by-Gawd Verginny?

I know Clark Bro's in Warrenton VA is selling Goex for $14.75/lb

Give this guy a call. Goex is $9.11 a pound has-mat and and shiping. It is in 25 pound lots.
Old Charlie

McGee Industries 601-857-8997

Hey JK........
I am in Monongalia county....close to
Morgantown,,,,not only are all the gunshops closing down,
nobody sells black powder amd even the pawn shops want to log the BP guns I buy....Every body is posting their
land and I now have to drive at least 40 miles to HUNT.
I used to be able to hunt in a beautiful patch of woods about 5 minutes away....grouse, turkey, deer , bunnies were all there.......now there are a BUNCH of CONDO'S.
Ther used to be a nice pond there too....chocked full of bass! The development has ruined that too in the last 30 years...now there are no fish at all.
Wish I could turn back the hands of time...at least to the 70's or better yet the 1800's !!!!!
Maybe it's time to MOVE?.....jest gettin too old fer that,
but they say that ya gotta do WHAT ya gotta do... RIGHT?
Hey guys......thanks for all the leads on BP!!! I am sure to get some NOW !!! THIS FORUM IS GREAT!!!

*************** WEST VIRGINNY SCROUNGER *******

I kind of think buying black powder by the single pound is becoming a thing of the past. Our local supplier says he will not stock it because his license fee went up $200.00, and now is $500.00 dollars. Says he can't sell enough powder to make up the difference or at least break even.

Unfortunately this is going to effect all of us getting real black powder unless we buy it bulk, 25 pounds at a time. I do understand there are some places you can by it 5 pounds at a time.

Solutions; buy 5 to 25 pounds at a time, just have to budget it in... Raise club dues to cover the cost of the new license fee, and club's will stock the black powder themselves... Get together with 3 to 5, or more BP shooter's and split the order... Retailer's could just raise their retail price to offset the new license fee.

Changing times... :shake:

Ohio Joe...I think you are "right on the money" with your accessment of real Black Powder. It has been happening in my neck of the woods for well over a year now.
The little Mom & Pop sporting goods store can no longer afford to buy and stock real black, then sell it to you at an affordable price.
I am something of a "die hard" when it comes to not buying locally, just to save a dollar. I want them to stay in business and prosper. And, with the price of gas, it is very hard to drive 40 to 60 miles and save anything....so I shop at home if at all possible.
This single principal is causing more and more shooters to turn to faux powder than any other reason. Five years ago you could have never convienced any of them they would be using Pyrodex or anything other than real.
Perhaps that is as it should be....but I don't like it. My shooting partner and I just received a case from Coonies, in New Mexico. Before I reorder I will have to rethink this again. Is getting the powder from out of state part of the problem, or is this the only solution? I don't know.
Russ

I'm sure the police would like us to lock it away but the fire service won't allow it. You have to keep it in a handy wooden box that you can grab in a hurry on your way out.

It's just a matter of time that the nanny gov. will tell you how to store Pyrodex, how many locks, the placement of locks, the maximum amount of the stuff, the color and material of the storing case and so on, and so on...(Don't laugh, they did this in my former country!)

The real blackpowder you can get here is >$22.00, Pyrodex P or RS $13.00. This will change too as some special interest groups find another thing to rule and/or some politicos see an additional source of money for their pocket.

Nothing makes these "folks" more happy than to annoy.

REGULATIONS...REGULATIONS...REGULATIONS...REGULATIONS...
and "THEY" call this the LAND OF THE FREE????????
I say enough ALREADY! Enough regulations ALREADY...
INFACT there are too many regulations!!!
I store my gunpowder on a shelf in my "GUNROOM" which has the door locked......You guys say that the powder has to
be in wooden boxes etc......if "HOMELAND" SECURITY
would check out my storage procedure....what would they
say?....especially if they saw a 25 lb stash of BP????
I would expect their comments to in the NEGATIVE side??
----dont really care if they make it so hard to get black powder....and hardly anyone has it ...is it not essentially
the same NET RESULT as confiscating our SMOKEPOLES???
I have also heard that our BP rifles are classed as "NON-FIREARMS"......SO why all the regulations?
What good is your BP rifle without powder?
laws...laws...laws...laws.....
" government by the People, for the People"
I think "THEY" have forgotten what that means...

just my 2 cents worth

***** WEST VIRGINIA SCROUNGER ****

What good is your BP rifle without powder?

That's how "they" skirted around the Second Ammendment and stabbed us in the back. :cry:

I think I would have better success trying to by Uranium in my part of NY instead of blackpowder. The licensing fee skyrocketed and sellers have to have a $10,000 storage vault so many feet from anything.

I'm getting 10# at a time from Powder Inc. If the Haz Mat fee goes up any I guess I'll have to switch to full cases. Blow my whole house up in the event of a fire instead of just half of it.

My father-in-law was from Fairmont. Yell "Hey" across the holler.

Latest posts

Back