• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Real Iron

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braintan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been told that it is almost impossible to get real iron such as was used in the early guns because most everything now has some carbon added.
He said that real iron doesn't rust as easy as carbon steel.
Does anyone here know about this?
tim

As I understand it, there are some small operations that do produce true iron for sale to blacksmiths. I'm sure it's not cheap.

Iron is VERY soft. REALLY soft. They say it is somewhat more resistant to rusting, but probably not to any great degree. I have some 250 year old iron with no rust at all. I also have some that is totally brown and pitted...

Real wrought iron has a high silica content which helps it to resist rust. I don't know of anyone making it anymore, but if you can locate an old bridge thats being tore out, a lot were made from wrought iron. You also need a lot more heat to work it but it forms easier than steel.

I looked into finding new wrought iron once. There was a museum in England that made it as part of their demonstrations. The iron was for sale and it wasn't cheap. Old bridges and buildings are about your best choice to get it cheap in the US. Old rusted wrought iron has a stringy look to it.

Many Klatch

There was an old iron bridge torn down here a few years ago, I believe it was over 100 years old. I remember thinking someone would like to have that iron. Shortly after there was an article in the local newspaper stating that a local Blacksmith took as much of the iron as he could. I'm pretty sure he's located in Watseka, IL if you are interested. I just wouldn't know how to get ahold of him. Try some blacksmith sites. Kurt

Look around for really old wagon iron wheel rims. These were of wrought iron.

Wrought is certainly more resistant to corrosion than steel, but it's not rust proof
Finding bigger pieces say for forging gun barrels can be difficult but not impossible. Smaller pieces are all over the place but you have to know what you are looking for and even when you find it some of it isn't suitable for forging
Sometimes I hear a rumor that there is a company overseas making wrought - I think what started this is there's a company in England that does sell wrought iron but they aren't actually making any, what they do is process old wrought and form it into different sizes of rod, bar, etc. Don't get me wrong it's probably good stuff, I just don't know of anybody making new wrought iron in quantity or for commercial sale

Back