• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reaming A Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bookie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Reamed a barrel last night. Took about 2 hours and 20 minutes to ream from .484 to dead nuts .500 by hand. I had hardened, tempered, and forge welded the long bit or armory reamer earlier in the morning. It cut like a champ with no problems. Took 23 papers under the wooden shim to finish the job. Will rifle it next week. Heres a photo of the finished barrel and of the reamer for those of you who may have never seen what swarf or reamer shavings look like. Cheers, Bookie
FinishedBore.jpg

SwarfBuildup3.jpg

OK, so how much Redman did it take to get the job done. :rotf: How many plugs per hour is your rate of Labor. Bill

Bookie,

looks good, some day I might have to make the trip to Iowa to find out how to do that down here in the Heart of Dixie.

Scott

Bill, No Red Man this time....4 Moon Pies! :haha: Scottie, how come you keep changin' yore name? You know you cain't escape me sniffin' you out! Am putting a new page on my website to cover reaming in this fashion pretty soon. Cheers, Bookie

Bookie,

Well I don't really keep changing my name. The one I use here and on ALR forum have to do with a past hobbie, that I no longer am able to do. Because I haven't came up with, or been given a name on the campfire I just use my regular name.

Best regards,

Scott

Well, Scott. I sorta like the name Scott. How does that sound for you? :grin: In another serious vein, I'm making another "one LAST wrought iron barrel" again. A four footer this time as those 5 footers take too much time to whomp up. Maybe I'll let you see it (read Got Moon Pies? here) Cheers, Bookie

Hi Dave! Don't really have anything picked out, so maybe I'll probably make another Southwest Virginia rifle or baby chunk/over the log gun out of it. (Gotta work hard to keep them pesky Bevel Brothers from running away with all the spiders! :thumbsup: ) Guess I really don't know at this point. Cheers, Bookie

Bookie,

When you going to start that 4 footer, I know where you might get some help and maybe a MoonPie or two.

Scott

Bookie,

seems to be the story of my life :grin:

just as well with that mump plague yall have up there one of my youngens would just bring it back as a souvenir :rotf:

Best regards,

Scott

Latest posts

Back