• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sight question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkimbl31

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am shooting a fixed buckhorn site on a custom Pa long rifle 45 caliber flintlock. The front site is made from brass. The problem I am having is that in low light conditions I am having trouble seeing the front site. I have filed the notch in the rear site a little wider and deeper. It helped a little but I would really like to improve my site picture. Any suggestions

Thanks
Koda

Put a very small drop of floresant paint/ or real bright nail polish on the front bead for easier view of it.
Woody

I ahve never found white to be a good color to use as the background you aim at is white alot of the time such as targets . snow. even the sky at times.
I use a real bright nail polish he wife has around and it shows up well when firts put to the shoulder with less time looking for the front sight.
Woody

Go to any wal mart or craft store and you can buy a selection of different color florescent paints. My kit even came with a small brush and eight different colors.

Paint the front site florescent green and put a red dot on each side of the back buckhorn slot. All you do is line up the dots and fire. The green will show up excellent in low light.

Best part is when you want to go to a traditional shoot, take some lighter fluid on a patch, and the dots will wash right off.. You can also take your thumb nail and scrap them off if you like...

On my flintlock rifles I have my front sight made from a silver coin. I put a slight angle cut at the top edge I look at when sighting, to reflect and grab light for me. I usually use old silver mexican peso coins for my sights. They are wider than the worn old silver quarters you can buy.

Also I have seen period front sights have a notch filed in the center down the length of the sight and a piece of fiber optic material glued in place. Now this is bright.

Bear60

Latest posts

Back