• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reasonably priced round ball rifle links needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wszumera

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about shooting the round ball. I've shot the conical using 44 cal in sabots, 45 cal conicals, ect. My only bp rifle is 1:32 twist and is an in-line.

So, while the IRS and my employer is busy printing up my refund and bonus check, do any of you all have ideas on a decent rifle to buy for shooting the round ball. Percusion only, no wheelocks, match locks, or flinters. I like a bit of technology in my life.

Thanks,

Clutch

Welcome.

Something like a Lyman Great Plains should fit the bill. T/C sidelocks can throw a mean round ball, too. Both the models I own are now out of production, but both are nicely accurate.

Midsouth Shooter's Supply - Muzzleloading Rifles (click here)

Cherry's (click here)

Cherry's carries the Pedersoli line.

(Cabela's does, too. But I'm mad at them for showing 45 friggen inlines and ZERO sidelocks in a recent flier :curse:)

Dixie Gun Works always has something interesting. They've been around forever and I like to throw them business just to keep them around. Their catalog is worth the $5.

Dixie Gun Works - percussion rifles (click here)

Technology doesn't always mean better.

With the hazardous shipping fee on primers the flintlocks have pulled way ahead in economy to shoot. :winking:

I'll second (or third) the Lyman Great Plains Rifle in 54 caliber. I use mine with PRB and charges ranging from 30 grains of FFF for snowshoe hare all the way up to 100 grains of FF for large game. A good target/plinking load is around 60 grains of either FF or FFF. It works well with Pyrodex and 777 if you can't get near black.

Lots of threads scattered around here on the site about care and feeding, cleaning and loads for the GPR. On the carry side of things, it balances really well in the hand and doesn't feel as heavy as it is. Points and holds well, too. I've sold several to friends, simply by letting them carry and shoot mine. One friend is buying a replacement 54 caliber barrel to convert his over to 54, simply because he prefers the way mine handles.

I will agree with that the LGP rifle and the T/C are probably what you may be looking for. The T/C has a life time warranty second to none. Both will be in the same price range in general.
To shoot a round ball I will mention this because I didn't see anyone else mention it.
You should get a slow twist in the gun. 1 in 66" would be a great twist to have to shoot PRB's. Also it would be a good idea to shoot real BP (Goex)and not pyrodex for a propellant too. I have had better luck with Goex with RB's at being more accurate. :results:

Woody

I have the Traditions Kentucky percussion and have killed 4 deer with it. It has a 1-66 twist in 50 cal and although not a fancy gun, i have had no complaints and you can get it for around 250. Plus the customer service is second to none :imo:

As I am no hunter but a paper-puncher, I've got the Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .50" from Midsouth Shooters Supply. It has a twist of 1:60 (earlier descriptions mention 1:66).

I didn't have the time to shoot it up to now, but I cleaned the barrel religiously as mentioned here on the forum several times.

I was surprised by the nice grain of the stock, that came out even nicer with 3 coats of raw lineseed oil (has to dry a few days before the next coat should be applied).

The only cheap looking thing is the front-sight, you can see very obtruding casting-marks.

You know clutch, if you REALLY want to know what to do with that refund and bonus check, I have a charity that is very worthwhile to donate to. it's called the "Sachem Longhunter wants a Smoothbore Flinter Fund." It's a beneficial charity and I promise that all money sent will be used for the stated reason. Not only is this a worthwhile charity but just think how good you will feel knowing you gave your money to a good cause. You will be rewarded in heaven :: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I have the Traditions Kentucky percussion and have killed 4 deer with it. It has a 1-66 twist in 50 cal and although not a fancy gun, i have had no complaints and you can get it for around 250. Plus the customer service is second to none :imo:

You may still find a Traditions on the shelf, but Traditions has gotten out of the side lock gun market and are only going to be doing in-lines.

Woody

You may still find a Traditions on the shelf, but Traditions has gotten out of the side lock gun market and are only going to be doing in-lines.

Woody

:curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:(No wonder I had to really search around to buy one for my son)

Woody

:curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:(No wonder I had to really search around to buy one for my son)

Tradiitions Still have side locks on there web site but CVA don't

Not sure what dollar amount "reasonably priced" is but check out the Austin & Halleck mountain rifles at www.austinhalleck.com/ They offer PB and fast twist in percussion and flintlock in several grades of wood. Very nice guns with an authentic look that really shoot well.

:m2c:

A lot of great rifles listed here!But in my humble opinion if you just want to have a great shooter,simple to own and operate.Consider a Hopkins&Allen underhammer.Cheap,approx. $250 or so.Dependable,I can't say waterproof,but go ahead and shoot in the rain.Accurate,accurate,accurate,find your load and you'll be very pleased.It all depends on what catches your eye,cause these babies is ugly.Lots of wood to reshape.I've always been curious as to what Ethan Allens wife looked like?Cause he sure seemed to prefer ugly guns.? Noah :m2c:

Noah: Ugly and function are two different things. The same as beauty a good wife would be.
Fox

How about shooting what you got.

I have been shooting a T/C Renegade 54 cal for the better part of 25 years with a 1 in 30 twist. Never knew it could not be done never thought about it till people start quoting charts like Gospel.

A lot of people will find their current inline will throw a PRB like no ones business if they just tried it..

This silly talk of it can not be done is most likely by people that spend more time reading than shooting;

Best advice from a guy who actually shoots both is to try it with what you have now. Get some pillow ticking patch which will be stronger than average cotton add a bit extra bore butter to the patch and let fly.

Only advice I can really give is stay away from Remington Gold coated balls. Only use I ever found for them was to put into my lead pot for melting.

Start with a mild load around 50 or 60 of 2f or 3f would be a good starter makes for cheaper shooting as well.

If it works save half the money and put in your pocket and then send the rest to me.

Deer Creek Products Phone 765-525-6181 PO Box 246 Waldron In 46182.No website as far as I know.They also make?sell a Northwest Rifle cap or flint for around $200.I have an underhammer that shoots very well.The trigger pull is alittle heavy for me.

a little bit of file work will lighten up that trigger pull.Check[url] bluegrouseblackpowder.intranets.com[/url].Bruce offers in the white kits and support for whatever you need in the underhammer world.My rifle is listed under Ohio underhammer,just so ya can see,they ain't all ugly.Noah

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for the Lyman.54 GPR! You mentioned TECHNOLOGY. Let me suggest an UPGRADE to the GPR if you decide on it; Lyman sells an upgrade called the "hunting sight combo" for about $18.00. Rear sight is adjustable for elevation and front sight has a white post that shows up good in the woods (or against black bulls eye!). :imo:

Latest posts

Back