• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rebuilding a 1728 French Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

Well, I thought I’d be done by now… but my own rookie mistakes have gotten in the way.

First lesson… make the barrel bands to the desired shape first, THEN shape the stock to fit. I totally did this backwards, bringing the stock down to size and then thinking that (since I needed to reduce their size anyway) that I would just make the bands to fit. Turns out, I don’t have the skill for that yet! So I’ll need to go back a few steps and redo a bunch of work.

The front barrel band actually came out great - fits like a glove. I took off a whole lot of metal and thinned it out a bit. Very pleased in that one.
View attachment 355506

Middle band took a bit of fitting and frustration, but it’s nice and tight now. You can see I’ve had to sand the stock a bit to get this one to slide down. I’ll be thinking this one out soon too.
View attachment 355507

And the rear barrel band… was a bit of a miscalculation. I took off too much material. I’ll either make a new one from scratch, or try to patch it somehow.
View attachment 355508

Moving further down the musket, will be the wrist. I was super happy with it a couple weekends ago, but now that it’s been sitting for a week or so, I’ve noticed that it’s feeling a bit thick. I know the earlier French muskets were a bit thicker than the later ones, but it just feels a bit excessive. I measured the width of the wrist at 1.7in. My original M66 comes to about 1.55in.

Does anyone have an idea as to what the thickness on a M1728 should be?
View attachment 355509View attachment 355510

I can help with middle band pm me

I spent quite a bit of time on the front porch today, and the musket is 98% done.

Today's work was mostly (fixing previous mistakes) and finishing the barrel bands. Let's start with the middle band.

Overall, this one fit OK, but I still wasn't 100% happy with the shape (it was a bit lopsided). I worked on it for a while, but eventually decided to size it down a bit by cutting it, filing the ends and soldering it back together. The fit was much better after that.

The rear barrel band was a bigger project. I used a small piece of scrap metal to remake the top of the band, since previously I had made the band too small. The wall thickness on this was also filed down to size and fitted to the musket.
IMG_4295.jpg

All bands now (finally) complete. If I ever rebuild another French musket.. I think I'm definitely buying Rifle Shoppe parts!
IMG_4296.jpg

Another task was filling the old pin hole in the tab of the trigger guard (just soldered a bit of metal inside), filing that, and then redrilling a new hole for the pin. This had to happen since there was a bit of wood removed from the belly of the stock, causing misalignment with the original holes. The fore end of the stock got some adjustments to fit the new bands after all the metal work was complete.

Last (but actually happened yesterday, mostly) was reducing the wrist. I had originally measured the wrist at about 1.75in wide, this was reduced down to just under 1.6in, which felt/looked a little more accurate and comfortable to hold. Once the height and width were figured out, I filed everything down to blend it. IMG_4292.jpg

Then sanding, staining and finish (not pictured).
IMG_4293.jpg

At this point, I'm just waiting for the finish on the stock to dry. Hopefully I can get everything assembled later in the week and take some photos... and we'll be done! Last step (which I'll get to another day...) will be adding a front sight.

Attachments

• IMG_4289.jpg
    IMG_4289.jpg
    1.8 MB
I spent quite a bit of time on the front porch today, and the musket is 98% done.

Today's work was mostly (fixing previous mistakes) and finishing the barrel bands. Let's start with the middle band.

Overall, this one fit OK, but I still wasn't 100% happy with the shape (it was a bit lopsided). I worked on it for a while, but eventually decided to size it down a bit by cutting it, filing the ends and soldering it back together. The fit was much better after that.

The rear barrel band was a bigger project. I used a small piece of scrap metal to remake the top of the band, since previously I had made the band too small. The wall thickness on this was also filed down to size and fitted to the musket.
View attachment 356422

All bands now (finally) complete. If I ever rebuild another French musket.. I think I'm definitely buying Rifle Shoppe parts!
View attachment 356420

Another task was filling the old pin hole in the tab of the trigger guard (just soldered a bit of metal inside), filing that, and then redrilling a new hole for the pin. This had to happen since there was a bit of wood removed from the belly of the stock, causing misalignment with the original holes. The fore end of the stock got some adjustments to fit the new bands after all the metal work was complete.

Last (but actually happened yesterday, mostly) was reducing the wrist. I had originally measured the wrist at about 1.75in wide, this was reduced down to just under 1.6in, which felt/looked a little more accurate and comfortable to hold. Once the height and width were figured out, I filed everything down to blend it. View attachment 356423

Then sanding, staining and finish (not pictured).
View attachment 356424

At this point, I'm just waiting for the finish on the stock to dry. Hopefully I can get everything assembled later in the week and take some photos... and we'll be done! Last step (which I'll get to another day...) will be adding a front sight.

Great job on the bands, that’s the hardest part.

FYI dont’ be fooled about the bands being robust and heavy, originals were not. Thick heavy bands is a reproduction thing.

I recommend looking at orignal 1728s as much as possible, the bands were ‘Paper thin’. So thin you could bend them with your thumb. Once i had seen how thin them were i started making my own from two pieces of steel folded over and welded .

I’ve made them from scratch, i the thickest barrel bands I’ve seen were on model 1774 and 1777 charleville for obvious reasons they began fastening screws to them for things like rammer spoons and barrel tenons.

Great job on the bands, that’s the hardest part.

FYI dont’ be fooled about the bands being robust and heavy, originals were not. Thick heavy bands is a reproduction thing.

I recommend looking at orignal 1728s as much as possible, the bands were ‘Paper thin’. So thin you could bend them with your thumb. Once i had seen how thin them were i started making my own from two pieces of steel folded over and welded .

I’ve made them from scratch, i the thickest barrel bands I’ve seen were on model 1774 and 1777 charleville for obvious reasons they began fastening screws to them for things like rammer spoons and barrel tenons.
That makes sense. Maybe one day I'll give that a try. I almost wonder if starting from scratch would have been easier than adjusting the existing ones.

Back