• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reccomended load for Harpers Ferry Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChairForce1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the reccomended load for a .58 Harpers?

/edit: Oops...thought I was posting in the smoothbore section.

I don't know what the original loads were for the Harpers Ferry pistol but Dixie Gunworks catalog says the load for the .58 U.S. Springfield Pistol Model 1855 was a .570-.575 ball over 40 grains of FFg powder.

That gun was a "Pistol-Carbine" with a 12 inch barrel but I would think the load would work quite well in your pistol.

You may find that adjusting the charge for elevation is beneficial. Lots of muzzle climb with that punkin.
Mine's rifled.

Nice lady in Italy mailed me a new spring for free. Big thumbs up for Pedersoli.

Hello,

I have just resumed tests with my HF pistol after the cock had been modified ( cutting the front arc, bending it and welding);

what an improvement ! before the cock modification the flint was destroyed before any serious shooting could occur ; but today I shot 15 balls with only one or 2 flash in the pan (not due to the lock by the way) and the flint is like new...........

This makes a huge difference between a wall-hanger and a shooter !!

The load was : 45 gr BP, 20gr cornmeal and 560 patched ball

regards

Cool! I'm glad to hear you converted that wall hanger into a shooter!

40 grains of 3F under a patched .570 punkin ball.

I should be breaking her in tomorrow. Will post pics. Any advice on shooting since the "front sight only" concept is new to me?

Zonie said:
I don't know what the original loads were for the Harpers Ferry pistol but Dixie Gunworks catalog says the load for the .58 U.S. Springfield Pistol Model 1855 was a .570-.575 ball over 40 grains of FFg powder.

That gun was a "Pistol-Carbine" with a 12 inch barrel but I would think the load would work quite well in your pistol.

pistol carbine...you mean there's a stock attachment for it?

I have a Harpers ferry pistol in .54 cal.I use a load of 35gr of 3F and a patched .530 ball. It is a fun gun to shoot.
The trick to the front sight only is aim low.
At 20 yards on a b27 silouete i aim at the belt buckle and the rounds hit center mass ie 18" above POA. Each gun is different but this meathod has worked with several simalar guns.

With the .58 U.S. Springfield Pistol Model 1855, yes. It had a removable stock and a 12 inch barrel.

It was a Calvary gun and the idea was that the mounted troops could use it for medium range fighting while on foot.

I don't think the idea was very popular with the troops.

For front sight only shooting it's just a matter of practice and being as consistent as you can. Those were really saber fighting days. The pistol was like having a pike with a little longer reach.

Dangit, I need more range time.

Back