• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommendations for first flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanger

40 Cal
Reaction score
Looking to buy my first flintlock, preferably full stock and .45 caliber. Would like to stay under $1000, any thoughts or suggestions. Would like a gun already built, not a kit.

The Pedersoli Kentucky is a good rifle. It's not a GREAT rifle, but will perform. If you can swing a few hundred bucks more, a kit from Jim Kibler will assure the absolute finest performance. The locks and fitment of the parts are superb. They're almost "in the white" as you receive them and can be finished easily with little investment in tools or space.

Pay a couple hundred more and get a Kibler kit. If you can't snap it together get someone to do it for you. You will be miles ahead that way. There is no way you can get the quality of barrel, lock, design and architecture anywhere else around that price point

So if I went the kindler route, what would be a good option? This will probably be something I will normally take hunting throughout the year. So it would be nice to be reasonably light, but I don’t mind length. Do they offer swamped barrels?

This may sound counter-intuitive, but I have come to the conclusion that pistols make better "first flintlocks" than rifles. It's easier to start with the flash pan further away from your nose in order to avoid the "flinchlock" effect.

But if you must start with a long arm, the Pedersoli Scout Carbine would be my choice. Their standard long rifle is a bit too muzzle heavy for my liking. Muzzle Loading Rifles model Scout Rifle flintlock model

I was going to say I bet $20 someone will still suggest a kibler kit, but looks like I was too slow.

Welcome to the kibler forum
Got a close match in the price range in mind? I don't. Can't be any other kits as they require more work. Can't be any finished guns in that price range as they can't compare in the above mentioned features.

Looking to buy my first flintlock, preferably full stock and .45 caliber. Would like to stay under $1000, any thoughts or suggestions. Would like a gun already built, not a kit.
If you really want to stay at the $1,000 mark and not build a kit, and you want a .45 the Pedersoli Kentucky, as @akroguy said, or Pennsylvania flintlock are good choices. I don’t think they’re as good now as they used to be, but still ok. I have a Pedersoli Pennsylvania flint that’s a great rifle. Now the other side of the coin is to come up with another $400-$500 and order a Kibler SMR kit, plus the tools, and finishing supplies to get the job done properly. The barrel, lock, and trigger assembly is far superior to the Pedersoli, not to mention the wood. But you should not apologize to anyone for owning a Pedersoli.

The problem for me with most of the budget minded Flint rifles is that darn Patent breech.
They just cause you grief. They plug up, quit shooting, and then you lose the desire to even play with a Flintlock... and it's easy at that point to decide a Flintlock is just not worth the hassle.

But don't let anybody kid you on the $1,000 budget, with Kibler you're going to be into it closer to 2K.... especially if you don't build it yourself.

And if you do build it yourself it can cost LOTS more, because like several of us here, 1 is not enough! I have 3 Colonials and I know several folks on here that have more than one LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I would prefer .45 cause is what I use now, a seneca my grandfather gave me. I’ve owned.50 percussion but never had a desire to shoot them. So .45 is where my heart is set at, I live in Florida so no big game here. Everything can be killed legally with my .32 Crockett per our regs. Later on I will probably jump to .54 or.50

I started with a Great Plains rifle in .50 that I built from a kit 11-12 years ago. Over the years I upgraded triggers and the lock, but it has served me very well. Taken a number of deer and a lot of targets. It was a long time ago, but in the original build I think I had less than $600 in it.

Now I am adding a Kibler SMR and am building it myself. I have not kept track, but I’d say I will end up with $1500 in it.

Remember range rod, powder, balls, cleaning supplies will run you a couple of hundred dollars too. So factor that into your budget.

Just a suggestion that accomplishes your wants and also what folks here are suggesting to you that you ain't gonna be happy with until you own a a "true" flintlock. As suggested the Gemmer is a good rifle. So are a lot of old Lymans and T/C's . .45 harder to find than 50's but findable. By used, save a few bucks. Patent breech. Never had any of the problems people seem to complain about. Clean them well and they work. Iv'e had two patent breech flinters that worked perfectly every time . Now to Part B; Save now by buying used and continue saving until you can get "That Rifle". You mentioned full stock and I can tell you that a 45 long rifle with a swamped barrel is going to be a beautiful rifle to see and carry. You will not believe how light it is and how ell it points You're going to pay (at least) double your current budget but you'll have a heritage rifle that you'll be carrying in the Florida woods. Keep in mind there's plenty good hunting for FL in other states and they may require a .50 .
good luck and I hope you find what you want.

Nope, can't ever recall having trouble with any of my patent breeches either and I have 6 of them. There are easy ways to deal with cleaning them.

Back