• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recovered jute tow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recovered some jute tow just now that wound up 10 or so yards in front of my NWTG muzzle. 60 grains Goex 2f, .600 ball, ball of jute tow I unravelled from twine. Pre-Moistened in my pie hole. The grey one is very likely from last shooting session. I just wanted to share as I’d never seen it before in my newness to using tow. I like it so far. IMG_3128.jpeg

.... that stuff's a bugger to unwind. :)
I was thinking about posting a thread on making tow to for the "patience impaired". Like me. What I did was to boil the strands in water for a while. The boiling relaxes the strands and the boiling motion of the water also unravels them to some degree. Squeeze dry and heat in an oven. The result is much easier to pick apart into respectful tow.

I was thinking about posting a thread on making tow to for the "patience impaired". Like me. What I did was to boil the strands in water for a while. The boiling relaxes the strands and the boiling motion of the water also unravels them to some degree. Squeeze dry and heat in an oven. The result is much easier to pick apart into respectful tow.
Honestly I just bought a huge bag of linen tow from a place in Frankfort Ky a few years ago.

I see the Woolery is $55.00 delivered for a pound, which with reuse would go a LONG way. I’ll see if I can find some at the Kempton show in a few weeks and if not I’ll order from Woolery for sure. Thanks for that link.

Back