• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you shoot old "Originals"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot all my Snider Enfields and load .43 spanish through my Rolling Block Argentine Calvary Carbine.

When I had my orginal P1853 I shoot that as well.

View attachment 285043

View attachment 285044

View attachment 285045
Hi Spax. I own and shoot the same two guns. Although my Snider is an Artillery model, and my RB is full length rifle.
Back in the mid-1960's I bought a RB carbine in 90% plus condition for $45.00. Shot it using original surplus black powder rounds from the 1880's that was still available. LOL

Rick

Something different: An original Albanian Tanchika Musket for shooting. Barrel has a Hoyt liner.

Rick

001 (Medium).JPG
003 (Medium) (2).JPG

1816 flint, 1841 Mississippi, 1842 rifled musket, 1863 rifle musket, 1863 Sharps, .45 cal percussion Ohio style, 1868 TD, 1888TD , 1871RB.

1000001993.png
Hi everyone
I recently bought this Mortimer made India pattern, have anyone come across gun with this markings or know something about it?
Thank you

View attachment 331062Hi everyone
I recently bought this Mortimer made India pattern, have anyone come across gun with this markings or know something about it?
Thank you

The name engraved to the right of the hammer is the lock maker, and the date the lock was made, and that is usually not the person who made the gun
the lock was originally a flintlock, and has been converted over to caplock
The logo to the left of the hammer is the logo for the {British} East India Company. Handling all the trade from India to the UK and back again. They had a standing army for a while, and are responsible for the the simplified and shortened "Third" version of the Brown Bess.

LD

The name engraved to the right of the hammer is the lock maker, and the date the lock was made, and that is usually not the person who made the gun
The logo to the left of the hammer is the logo for the {British} East India Company. Handling all the trade from India to the UK and back again. They had a standing army for a while, and are responsible for the the simplified and shortened "Third" version of the Brown Bess.

LD
Thank you Dave for the response.
I know some basics about the EIC, but I wonder if there is a record somewhere or a way to find out more details about where was the gun traded and used? I would really like to know more about what I have, I was searching the internet without luck.

Regards Robert

LD

Thank you Dave for the response.
I know some basics about the EIC, but I wonder if there is a record somewhere or a way to find out more details about where was the gun traded and used? I would really like to know more about what I have, I was searching the internet without luck.

Regards Robert
Well for starters, it was not traded to Nepal, as sooo many of the BEIC muskets were that one sees coming over to the USA now as surplus, because Nepal would engrave their own emblem between the cock and the pan. The conversion was very well done on your gun, also. Further a lot of the BEIC muskets had the BEIC logo removed from the lock as well as any British Royal markings when sold off. For example your musket was not one of the 90,000 sold to the Mexican government between 1824 and 1842. More than likely it was orginally a contract musket for the company, and remained in India with provincial BEIC Indian troops. It was then converted over to caplock when the Brits switched over to the Enfield rifle. This would explain the very nice conversion of the lock and barrel, and why the BEIC markings remain.

As to further records likely not. They probably were not serialized.

LD

Well for starters, it was not traded to Nepal, as sooo many of the BEIC muskets were that one sees coming over to the USA now as surplus, because Nepal would engrave their own emblem between the cock and the pan. The conversion was very well done on your gun, also. Further a lot of the BEIC muskets had the BEIC logo removed from the lock as well as any British Royal markings when sold off. For example your musket was not one of the 90,000 sold to the Mexican government between 1824 and 1842. More than likely it was orginally a contract musket for the company, and remained in India with provincial BEIC Indian troops. It was then converted over to caplock when the Brits switched over to the Enfield rifle. This would explain the very nice conversion of the lock and barrel, and why the BEIC markings remain.

As to further records likely not. They probably were not serialized.

LD
Wow that is a great input, I am at least somewhat closer to its source.
Thank you

Wow that is a great input, I am at least somewhat closer to its source.
Thank you
The amount of speculation about your gun is interesting but not fully understood . Yes its an E I Coy 'Windus pattern' musket the term" third model 'is just a US notion " There is nothing' Ordnance' about that hammer & it is a mystery who put it to percussion perhaps some commercial order .lots being sold off to any one such as the New Zealand Company who bought lots of surplus muskets ( An Estimate of over three million of that pattern being made during the Napoleonic wars if not for just Ordnance & The E I Co) losses & wastage & supplying powers who also apposed Napoleon .such a Some Spanish & Portugues troops probably a breakdown Twix Ordnance ,Trade , (For Volunteers ect ) & the E I Coy who where a Commercial Army in effect . Some where bought from the E I Coy by Ordnance & can be found with a surcharge mark . The Company worked in with Ordnance to a degree but that basic shorter 39" barrel stemmed from the Company.s" Lawrences pattern" &" Coote's Pattern" then" Windus's pattern ' this last being adopted as a war time simplification .of supply .Your musket looks absolutely correct a 'sleeper' but the barrel & conversion are not Ordnance or Company as far as ime aware & going by the cock Ide guess continental work (Europe) trust that helps.

Regards
Rudyard

Silver Inlaid Japanese Tanegashima Matchlock Arquebus. Made somewhere between 1543 and 1850. Samurai. Silver dragon inlaid with smoke. 41" Octagon Barrel. .52 caliber

Matchlock. Getting ready to try it out. Drying some homemade match cord.

Attachments

• 2 (4).png
    2 (4).png
    303.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1 (3).png
    1 (3).png
    224 KB · Views: 0
  • 2 (1).png
    2 (1).png
    393.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2 (8).png
    2 (8).png