• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reminiscing....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazo kid

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking through some old gun catalogs last night and came across a few old muzzleloading gun catalogs. How many of the younger guys (and gals) even know that Ithaca Gun Company made a Hawken rifle for a while? They started about 1975 and made a very correct copy using the dimensions from an original gun. They were pricey for the time, $420.00 (the kit was $285.00); and you could get 2 T/C Hawkens for that price. A percussion T/C Hawken was $205, flinters were $215. A CVA Mountain rifle was $199.95 for percussion and $209.95 for flint lock. Kits were about $70 less. Kinda makes me wish I had bought back then. Left hand guns weren't made then, so I had to make my first left hand rifle in 1972. Guess it didn't turn out too bad for a first time guy who didn't know much about such things. Hey, it goes BANG every time and that's what counts. Emery

Yeah, the Ithaca Hawken was a dang nice production firearm, I've seen a couple over the years but never had the opportunity to own one.

Don't know that I've ever seen one of them come up on any of the auction sites...

It is interesting to look thru the old BP Digsets
and see how many different production level options there were during the 70's few manufactures have survived till present.

I bought an Ithaca Hawken kit in 1975. It was a great shooting rifle. I sold it a few years later and to this day I am kicking myself.

Spot said:
Yeah, the Ithaca Hawken was a dang nice production firearm, I've seen a couple over the years but never had the opportunity to own one.

Don't know that I've ever seen one of them come up on any of the auction sites...
I've never even seen one, had heard about them and talked with guys about them....they were a bit too much money for a guy raising a young family. I wonder what something like that would bring at auction...I don't think they were in production very long. Emery

tg said:
It is interesting to look thru the old BP Digests
and see how many different production level options there were during the 70's few manufactures have survived till present.
Yeah, there was the Sharon Rifle Co, Browning, Ithaca, just to name a few off the top of my head. All darn nice rifles too.

Saw one on one of the auction sites a few months ago and they were asking a nice price for it. Saw one used in that vido Blackpowder Whitetails by Dave Ehrigh. I think this is how you spell his name. Guys from PA would know. They are a good looking Hawkin repo style gun.

H&R made a MZ too. It wasn't a reproduction of anything though. It looked like their single shot shotgun with a ramrod. I remember the Brownings were nice. I paid $175.00 for my first brand new TC Hawken percussion. Those were the days.

Harrod said:
H&R made a MZ too. It wasn't a reproduction of anything though. It looked like their single shot shotgun with a ramrod. I remember the Brownings were nice. I paid $175.00 for my first brand new TC Hawken percussion. Those were the days.
Yep, you're right. I had forgotten about that one. A friend of mine had one; I remember that I was disappointed when he got it. I thought he should have gotten a more traditional gun. Different strokes.....Emery

I'm not certain, but I think Ithaca subcontracted Browning to make those rifles in Utah. I have examined one and it was a beauty of a rifle. The finish was a bit glossy, but that one was not for shooting and may just have been wiped off to the point of being shiney.

That fellow passed away and I never did learn where that Hawken ended up. He also had a Browning side-by-side 20ga. that I lusted after.

Back