• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing stain on rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papellet

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an older TC that has been a bit abused. I would like to strip the stock down and start anew. Any guidance from you knowledgable folks on how to remove the stain etc.

i used the paste or the gel paint remover and used 3 coats on it :v ..............bob

Have refinished one rifle {Mannlicher} and used oxalic acid {wood bleach} to remove the color after removing the finish. The result was a blond colored stock that after a few years "grew old" and then had the finish removed and restained. Came out a nice reddish brown color and the wood was walnut.....Fred

Stripper is an easy way to remove the finish without having to sand, but I have yet to find the perfect solution for removing the stain as it has soaked into the wood too deep to be sanded out. I've used bleach successfully but it also bleaches out the wood's natural color. That's no big deal if you plan to restain it though. I've always wondered if bleaching the wood reduced the figure too though.

The oxalic acid {wood bleach} didn't affect the grain on the walnut stock seeing the different densities of the wood structure absorb stain in different amounts. This stock was a medium figured European walnut and the end result after the final staining was the same as the original color...Fred

Some good ideas already. You might also try some of the military rifle forums, Jouster,[url] ODCMP.org[/url], etc. Those guys know a lot of tricks for removing years of mud, blood, etc from stocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back