• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Repair or replace

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were me, I’d do both. I would repair the broken stock to use as my hunting stock. I’d also buy a new one and finish it just so I know I have it if needed.

Sorry this happened. Makes ya sick! Above advice is very good, regarding threaded rod, epoxy. It’s good to stain the broken surfaces very lightly with diluted stain because it sucks it up like crazy. Let that dry at least 24 hours before fixing the break. I’d do a dry run and make sure you can get the threaded rod in AND align and clamp the broken edges well. Then add the epoxy to the equation. You only get one shot at it. I put scotch tape on the stock in the area being worked on to within 1/16” of the break. Then any dripped epoxy zips right off. In addition to clamping I wrap the whole thing with slit strips of bicycle inner tubes stretched tightly. Leave at least 12 hours to cure before unclamping and cleaning things up. Best of luck!

The epoxy and threaded rod is a very good solution however if you have a problem with drilling a relatively long hole then after you glue the break drill from under the trigger guard and fit, say three, hardwood dowels [being very careful not to drill the holes out the top🥵🥵🥵
Don’t know where it came from but no stock maker worth his salt would layout across the grain like that, unless it was an outstanding piece of figured wood,, and then he’d reinforce it before sale and tell the prospective buyer.

The epoxy and threaded rod is a very good solution however if you have a problem with drilling a relatively long hole then after you glue the break drill from under the trigger guard and fit, say three, hardwood dowels [being very careful not to drill the holes out the top🥵🥵🥵
Don’t know where it came from but no stock maker worth his salt would layout across the grain like that, unless it was an outstanding piece of figured wood,, and then he’d reinforce it before sale and tell the prospective buyer.
The more I look at it the better your proposal looks. The break is really far from the breech and aligning, clamping tight, and drilling through that slanted break could be iffy for me. Another variation similar to your dowel suggestion is to inlet and glue in a fat straight grained hardwood slab up from the underside of the wrist to within half an inch of the top of the wrist. Success depends on a great glue job at the break.

First day out with gun and dropped it out of a treestand. Wrist broke (see pic), I think I can repair it as far as ability but not sure it i should or just order a new stock. Wood grain (split with grain) View attachment 357888has me a little worried with repair, thoughts?
Oh ! Repair it bud ! Its not difficult ... That thing is beautiful ! Ive done it many times to guns with similar tragic stories . If your unsure how to do it or anything like that PM me ... You can call me we'll chat about it . When its fixed youll have to.point it out to folks when your telling the story about the break ... Youll hardly see it if you do at all ... If you havent already ...disconnect that trigger guard from the broken off piece ...remove trigger guard from top piece too. ...keep them separated . Recently fixed one for a fellow in Missouri ... He didnt and caused damage to wood and destroyed the trigger guard

Last edited:
I would drill from underneath the trigger guard and put the rod and epoxy in from their just my 2 cents
Smart ...thats what I do too . Makes it very strong and the trigger guard hides everything ... Ive drive pins vertical , 90 degrees to the grain , up ....this is so no recoil can separate the pieces again ...ive cut a long groove and inlaid a steel rod in there ... this all depends on the direction of the grain and the best , strongest way the pin or pins need to go . Picture ...one I recently fixed for a young man in Missouri .....

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1720285937922.jpg
    FB_IMG_1720285937922.jpg
    32.1 KB
Last edited:
The more I look at it the better your proposal looks. The break is really far from the breech and aligning, clamping tight, and drilling through that slanted break could be iffy for me. Another variation similar to your dowel suggestion is to inlet and glue in a fat straight grained hardwood slab up from the underside of the wrist to within half an inch of the top of the wrist. Success depends on a great glue job at the break.
That’s areall good way to do a very strong repair, just remember that the more traditional the glue the closer the strengthening piece must fit. Epoxy takes care of gaps

Sorry this happened. Makes ya sick! Above advice is very good, regarding threaded rod, epoxy. It’s good to stain the broken surfaces very lightly with diluted stain because it sucks it up like crazy. Let that dry at least 24 hours before fixing the break. I’d do a dry run and make sure you can get the threaded rod in AND align and clamp the broken edges well. Then add the epoxy to the equation. You only get one shot at it. I put scotch tape on the stock in the area being worked on to within 1/16” of the break. Then any dripped epoxy zips right off. In addition to clamping I wrap the whole thing with slit strips of bicycle inner tubes stretched tightly. Leave at least 12 hours to cure before unclamping and cleaning things up. Best of luck!
Tape is a great tip, thanks!

Latest posts

Back