• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reproductions of historical ball bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started making reproductions of historical ball bags. Here is my first one. I have several others in the pipeline. I'm making them true to size. Haven't decided if I'm gonna make them for sale. It would be easy to adjust the scale of the spout for custom orders. This reproduction is for .75 cal balls, but I could easily change the size for .50 cal balls.

IMGP6784.jpg

IMGP6799.JPG

IMGP6801.JPG

IMGP6804.JPG

IMGP6806.JPG

IMGP6809.JPG

I am surprised that very few of the historical ball bags had straps to hang on the belt or around one's neck. Almost all of the ball bags were carried in the shooting bag.
On the belt or neck means more stuff bouncing around when moving. They also commonly wore jackets or coats and made use of the pockets.

I made another version of the same ball tube as above. This is actually the third version.

When I was nearly done with the first version, I didn't know how to close the bottom of the tube. So I just stitched across the bottom. It looked terrible.

The second version above has a circular wood plug in the bottom. But it is just a straight tube, and I didn't like it. It didn't look quite correct. It looks like a damn cigar.

This is the third version. The circumference on the bottom of the tube is a 1/4-inch wider than the top, so it has the same subtle taper as the historical version. When I make another one, I'll expand the difference to 5/16 or 3/8-inches. The turned Maple stopper has a coned transition between the stem and the top, so it gives the top of the ball tube a nice flare. The stopper rests in a deep conical hole in the throat. All in all, I am very pleased with this one. It took only about an hour-and-a-half to make.

I made it from 5-6 oz. veg tan. After dyeing and sewing, I soaked the ball tube in water and then carefully hardened the leather with a heat gun. I left the stopper in place so that the leather shrunk around the stopper. But then I couldn't remove the stopper. You might be able to see my teeth marks on the stopper, I finally got it out. The leather will stretch with time.

I discovered that the top of the stopper, where you grip it with you fingers, has to have vertical, parallel sides. Otherwise you can't grab it with your teeth. If you try to bite a stopper with sloped faces, your teeth just rake off the wood.

IMGP6827.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the first version of the same ball tube, with the sewn bottom. It looks terrible. See the sloped faces on the stopper? Looks great, but you can't grip that with your teeth. I fixed the stopper with a small half-round wood rasp.

IMGP6813.jpg

Back