• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolver killed deer ??????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody killed deer with a cap and ball revolver? I have a Ruger Old Army (45 of course) and have often wondered how efficiently it would take a deer. I may never know as it is illegal for such use here in Indiana. Just curious, Skychief.

I've killed more than I can count with cartridge revolvers over the years, but none with C&B. It's just on the "haven't got around to it yet" list, though. I did a whole bunch of experimenting (5-7 deer limit for most of those years) with calibers and loads in cartridge guns, getting down into and below that possible with your Ruger with perfect results. Look at the ballistics of the standard velocity loading for the 45 Colt or 44 Special for comparison. Both are outstanding on deer out to the 50 yards I've tried them. "Testing" a variety of 38 Special and 357 Mag loads for defensive use, I tried them on deer. The worst was the standard 38 Special round nose bullet. But put a flat nose bullet in it and be careful with your shot, and it did okay too. Just not as emphatic a killer as the 44 and 45.

I haven't shot any deer with 44 or 45 RB's at any velocity, so you'll have to draw your own conclusions. But with a conical I'd have no qualms about the Ruger. But just be darned sure of your shot.

Got a Doe a few years back. .44 with ball think it was 27 grains 3f. I was about 15 yards and hit her in the lungs. She went about 150 yards. If I do it again I will use the conical type bullet. No exit on this deer at 15 yards :( Some more powder would have prob helped. Larry Wv

Meplat, meplat, meplat! As wide as possible, like a sledge hammer effect on deer. Not sure you can get conical for these pistols with a wide flat nose though, can you?

Latest posts

Back