• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolver results.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FWIW:
25 yards. Bench rest.
Peitta .44 stainless.
.451 ball.
CCI#11
over ball lube/wonder wad under ball
30 grains 777
Hi-1129fps
Lo-958 fps
e/spread 171 fps
mean ave. 1035 fps
Accuracy 4" verticle spread.
lotsa recoil and blast.

FORTY gr 777, yes kids, you CAN get 40 grains in there!!!!
No wonder wad(no room), over ball lube.
Hi-1250fps
Lo-1095 fps
e.spread 155 fps
mean ave. 1148 fps.
HOT LOAD!!!! Wow.
Accuracy 4" verticle spread, but 3 shots into an inch.

30 grains Elephant 3fg.wonder wad and over ball lube.
Hi-778fps
Lo-693fps
e.speard 85fps
mean ave.727 fps.
very mild load
Accuracy: six shots dead bull into 1.5" (lot'sa fun)

Maxiball, thanks for that info, I just got a blued Pietta 1858 Army. This is very helpful info for me. Thanks again

shot the Pietta stainless .44 over the chrono.
Loads were:
.451 hornady r/b.
30 grains 3fg.
Wonder wad over powder to take up air space.
Maxi's yeller b-wax, Murphy's Oil Soap, Crisco, peanut oil, lard, and other useless junk over the ball lube.
All shots fired from a bench, leather sand bag rest, at 30 yards.
30 grains SWISS 3fg gave an average velocity of 12 shots at 960.5 fps.
10 of the 12 went into 1.6", two shots went a bit wide and were called flyers. I think 1.6" is good accuracy.
30 grains of 1997 Elephant 3fg gave a 6 shot average of 756 fps. Accuracy was about the same, point of impact a little HIGHER.
30 grains of May, 01 lot Elephant 3fg gave a 6 shot average veleocity of 761 fps, accuarcy was good, with 3 of 6 in a nice touching clover leaf and the total group about 2".
Interesting to me was that the 1997 lot of Elephant showered lots of sparks like tracers.
The May, 01 lot had plenty of sparks and fire, but less than the older stuff.
The Swiss had no sparks or fire that I could notice.
I gotta tell ya a screw up I did.
After the second shot I noticed the lube was sparying all over my nice leather sandbag. I thought I should cover the sandbag with something to protect it, but the paper blue shop towel was the wrong choice!!!!!
After the 6 shot string I walked to the target to mark the bullet holes and when I walked back the paper towel was on FIRE.
Bad move as the fire was right next to the powder flask.
DUH!

Thankyou very much for your chornograph results, Maxiball. I have a Uberti .44, bored out to .452" for .454 to .457 balls that with a full cylinder and crisco, will put 5 balls (all I load it with) into 1 1/2" as well, using GOEX, 37gr. I don't know what the vel is, as I haven't shot it in 25 years, and didn't have a chronogrph with me when I did.
: I'm intersted in getting that .777 shooting tighter groups as I bought 2 lbs. of it when I couldn't get any BP up here. Now, I have 777, GOEX, Pyrodex & Black Mag 3 to test. In the ctg. guns, the Black Mag 3 gives much higher velocity than straigth BP does. With 75gr.BlkMg3 in the .450 Alaskan chambered '71 Mauser, I'm getting 1,500fps with 500gr. bullets. I re-chamberd it for easier-to-get brass, and due to it's .459 groove dia.
: I'm interested inwhat the BlkMg3 will do in the revolver. it will work in the flinter, but needs 15 to 20gr. 3F to get it going. That's a pain to load, but it's clean burning, low/no fouling.

Back