• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle #3....Unfinished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dakota Tim,

I really started engraving about 2002, but really didn't know what I was doing until around 2007. I still don't know what I'm doing compared to many others, but I feel as though I keep making at least slow progress.

Starting work again on this rifle as well.  Beginning of the patch box inletting.  The top of the box door will be round and the door will open from the side on this one.

IMG_2063_zpsfde628a0.jpg

Man, those issues were already named-crack in the floor, grain direction. I found one more-it´s damn close to, if not all the way, to be almost too perfect. And hell, that´s one heavy, dense piece of wood, as can be told from the grain and bandsaw marks showing in the photo. I think there´ll be a whole bunch of other things to repair and redo if the wrist gets broken...

But I realy apreciate your engraving-and that´s to say. Frankly, I quite dislike it most of the time, since it seems to me that it somehow breaks the utilitarian beauty of a rifle or other equipment, breaking it´s lines nad all.
But yours is just as I love it-one almost can´t notice it from six feet, but gets very interested when having the piece in hands and gets astonished if he takes a magnifying glass. Shallow, shaded, crisp lines. What a heaven of beauty.

I'm not a rifle lover and I've not owned one since about 1993. But this gun could make me change my attitude toward owning a rifle. It's almost too pretty and it's not even done yet. Nice.

Ok, OK.....you know it is really hard to finish a rifle when all the talented builders on this site keep teaching me things.  Just as soon as I decide to do something one way, one of you comes up with a better idea.  So this rifle, which started out as number three (but was bypassed when I decided to make a copy of a Jim Kibler rifle) is now #4.  And, although I have changed my mind several times on what I wanted to do with it, I was committed by previous work in several areas and I just need to get it finished.  So, I started the carving (not quite done yet) and finished the patch box / toe plate inletting, mechanics, and engraving.  As you may notice, the carving is still heavily influenced by copying Kibler's work.....

Walnut%20Stock%20Carving%202_zpsui9fqi6u.jpg

Walnut%20Stock%20Carving%201_zpsrtg6ludy.jpg

Walnut%20Stock%20Toe%20Plate_zpslgn2unaj.jpg

Walnut%20Stock%20Patchbox%201_zpsgemgcvhh.jpg

M-m-m-must......h-h-h-have..........m-m-m-m-musssstt-t-t-t..............h-h-h-avvvve.......

Good thing about walnut is the butter consitancey of the wood when inletting/carving....the bad thing is the woods darkness...hard to see the pencil lines and the fine xacto blades lines :hmm:
Dave she's real pretty...but I have used my last walnut blank...the dust bothers me...even small amounts....my work is base next to yours, and others here...but I enjoy my hobby....so I will stick with maple.....
As soon, I will begin the Christian spring rifle with help from Ken ....I NEED his guidance on this one fer sure!! :surrender:
Marc n tomtom

Lordy mercy!! What a gorgeous piece of craftsmanship. I shouldn't refer to you as a highly talented craftsman but rather a highly talented artist. I would love to own such a beautiful rifle but it is waaay out of my financial ability. So, I will just enjoy looking at your pictures. :bow: :thumbsup:

You certainly have the artistic talent to build LRs far above the average. If you have a "day job", I'd quit and build LRs for a living....Fred

kaintuck said:
I have used my last walnut blank...the dust bothers me...even small amounts...

Marc n tomtom

Had the same problem with walnut dust and some other woods.

Now I take Chlorpheniramine maleate for allergies.
Not much problem with most woods now.

Just saying.

William Alexander

I've been wanting to comment on your work ...
But for the life of me, I cannot find words that will do your creations justice. So all I can say is ........ :thumbsup:

OK...for what it's worth...mistakes and all, it's done.  I figure with a little use, it will develop its own distinct patina that will elevate some of the errors.  Of course, the design flaws will be there forever......

DC%20Walnut%20Rifle%2022_zpsoxjryi16.jpg

DC%20Walnut%20Rifle%2023_zps7yiycfh3.jpg

DC%20Walnut%20Rifle%2020_zpsc0iha2jy.jpg

DC%20Walnut%20Rifle%2019_zps5l6rbj31.jpg

DC%20Walnut%20Rifle%2017_zpsab6vtusp.jpg

DC%20Walnut%20Rifle%2015_zps0j8mneuo.jpg

DC%20Walnut%20Rifle%2014_zpsmqhrtj1g.jpg

DC%20Walnut%20Rifle%2013_zps77qejton.jpg

DC%20Walnut%20Rifle%2012_zpsiigvargz.jpg

DC%20Walnut%20Rifle%209_zps3rvumppd.jpg

DC%20Walnut%20Rifle%208_zpsvjqgiyze.jpg

DC%20Walnut%20Rifle%205_zps2iyoxkn1.jpg

DC%20Walnut%20Rifle%204_zps4qpsqpxx.jpg

DC%20Walnut%20Rifle%203_zpsu03mysxe.jpg

DC%20Walnut%20Rifle%202_zpspxmkyu18.jpg

:bow: :bow: :bow:

now ...

next time, please put some sort of warning up so that I have at least a sporting chance to put something down to catch the drool...

Latest posts

Back