• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle #3....Unfinished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave...

If you and a bunch of your trekking buddies go on a suicide mission to overhaul North Korea, can I have this rifle in case you don't make it back???

What a great sequence of pics.

When you're overwhelmed with perfection.......how could anyone see a flaw. Artistry beyond art.

Really!!! I mean you even had to line up the engraving with the Ramrod and the nose cap! I realllllly hate you. I can't even get a butplate to line up. Jealous is an understatement. Very Fine work you done there. don't ever stop showing us hack wanna-be's how it is suppose to look.

Wow, what else,

I am thinking toward a build, something I can add to over time. Walnut has been at the top of my list for wood.

I downloaded several pictures. Is that copyright infringement?

Thank you all for the kind compliments on this rifle. It has some flaws, but I am generally please with how it came out.

Medic 302 -

I use gravers to excavate a recess in the barrel steel about 0.030 inches deep and the shape of the inlay. The bottom surface and edges of the recess are prepared (also with a graver) to provide undercuts for the gold to extrude into thereby providing permanent mechanical retention. Once the recess is prepared, I roll out a piece of 24 karat gold 0.020 inches thick and cut out a piece that just fits in the recess. With the gold piece installed, I have a maker's mark stamp that I made and that is used to compress the gold firmly into the recess and emboss the surface with the design. This last step can be done with a hammer, but I do it in a mechanical press because it affords me more control.

Most makers couldn't make one as nice with 40 years experience AND Photoshop. Now I can't decide if I'm inspired, or if it's time to move on to a different hobby.

Latest posts

Back