• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle Clubs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laney1566

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I live in the Portland Oregon area and am having a heck of a time finding BP Clubs. All the references for clubs that I have found online that are anywhere near me are dead links. Interesting with Fort Vancouver just across the river, that there is so little BP activity here. I just want to join a fellowship of Muzzleloaders that won't break the bank in the process. Seems most of the clubs are too far south or too far north of me. Any Northwesterners out there with good info?
The shooting ranges here require several hundred dollars to join and times are tight right now.

Go to the NMLRA web page, and check on Charter clubs in Oregon. Also, get the names and phone numbers on their Oregon Field Representatives. Call these people. They will know the nearest club for you.

Nothins cheap these days! I have to cough-up $384.00 dues for just one of the three clubs that I belong to! And it's 100% NRA, so you have to pay dues to that too! As I'm a life member of the NRA, I don't worry about that.

Insurance, utilities, maintaining property, etc. aren't cheap. Most clubs are being swamped with new members due to the state of affairs and such. Start saving so that you can belong, and in the meantime contact someone in one or more of the local clubs near to you so that you might be invited as a guest or be able to come out to a local league match which is open to the public, for a slightly higher fee than what the members pay...that's how we do it here in Jersey :wink: . Members pay $5.00 to shoot the league for a day, and non-members pay $20.00. Don't assume that you can't shoot at a particular range just cause it's a private club--many clubs have a league structure in place like I just mentioned :thumbsup: .

Hope that this helps and may you be happy making smoke and meeting new friends :) .

Dave

Thanks.
I was hoping to find a range where there was a daily fee to shoot. Paying $20 to shoot isn't the problem for me. Just coming up with hundreds right now is tough. Plenty of BLM land around here, but it's just in chunks here and there. I would hate to be in the wrong place and get caught. I know no other shooters right now. I'll keep looking though. My finger is getting itchy!!

Check with your local BLM office, they have maps that let you know where you're at and ask them where they would suggest you shoot. . I shoot at an old rock quarry on BLM land thats 10 minutes from the house!

Thanks. I keep hearing about a rock quarry and have been given directions. Must be the same one. I'll have to try it.

Getting caught isn't such a good idea. You could run the risk of a fine, or even having your firearms confiscated.

Calling your NMLRA field rep is a good start, if you're interested in shooting with and meeting other black powder shooters.

Play your cards right, do some homework, go to a deer check-in station (here in NJ the closest one is at a sporting goods store that sells lots of firearms) and ask about black powder activities within a certain radius of the store. Often these places have applications for gun clubs laying right on the counter, and sometimes the owner is a member of the club too!

If you work for it, it will happen.

Dave

leadpot said:
I live in the Portland Oregon area and am having a heck of a time finding BP Clubs. All the references for clubs that I have found online that are anywhere near me are dead links. Interesting with Fort Vancouver just across the river, that there is so little BP activity here. I just want to join a fellowship of Muzzleloaders that won't break the bank in the process. Seems most of the clubs are too far south or too far north of me. Any Northwesterners out there with good info?
The shooting ranges here require several hundred dollars to join and times are tight right now.

Well, well, well!
I shoot with a group thats been around for 25+ years and now has a new location, big enough for the rondy's we have historically hosted.
we have fun, shoot monthly for 5 bucks, joining is like 25 bucks for the family, less for just you!
We do a 5 buck breakfast prior to the monthly shoot and short meeting.
We have folks rom all walks of life and locations, some even out your direction!
We got your rock lockers and cap gun shooters, do handguns, trade guns, shot guns ect.
The only thing we dont do is inlines and handguns that have cylinders.
Here is a link to the clubs info!

PT me if you need more reasons to come see us!

http://www.fhbpb.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Bret,

I checked-out the club's web site...NICE!

Hope you guys cab hook-up...seems a good fit :thumbsup: .

I like the idea of the little gifts for the kids that participate--I think that I'll bring this up at our Christmas Party next Sunday :thumbsup: . Maybe we can get more kids involved too :)

Dave

Back