• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle for roe hunting in GE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, want to buy a rifle for roe hunting in Germany. I can choose between a Investarms (Lyman)Hawken Hunter or Investarms GPR (also Lyman)both in Kal.50 and percussion. What should I do?

As a kid, I remember my father's friend talk about hunting in Germany. He was in the US Army and participated in a program to obtain his Jaegerbrief.

Roe deer aren't very big. I don't think you need a tremendous amount of power to cleanly harvest one like you would with a red stag.

To me, either firearm would do. It really would depend on what type of projectile you would be using. I am not sure if the round ball would satisfy any energy requiements imposed by a forester. I am not sure what the rate of rifling twist is on those guns. As a rule, a slower twist is better for round ball guns.

According to the German Hunting Law 1000 J at a distance of 100 meters are needed for roes. this can only be managed with a conical. So a middle twist would be good, for conicals and round ball.

If you plan to shoot rd balls only then i would get the GPR. If you want to shoot some conicals as well as rd balls then the Investarm Hawken is a good choice. Either one will shoot rd balls ok. I would pick the one that feels the best to you.

For shooting conicals, I think I'd get the Investarms. You can shoot conicals and balls both in it. It's also a very accurate and reliable gun. I love mine and wouldn't even trade it for a T/C.

The Lyman GPR is really too slow of twist for a conical unless it's very short. A short conical might not meet your energy requirements.

You might be able to find an interchangeable barrel for the Lyman, but Green Mountain offers them for the Investarms for sure.

Lyman makes a GPH (Great Plains Hunter) barrel you can buy separate directly from Lyman, $179ish US dollars. Same size as the GPR, but a 1:32 twist I believe, if you really want to go with two different barrels.

For sure easiness though, I think I would have to agree with the above gentlemen and say the Hawken that will take both, because of the twist. :winking:

Lyman makes both the GPR and GPhunter. I believe that these are the same rifle but different twist. The GPR 1 in 60" and the hunter version is 1 in 32" twist. Midsouth shooters supply also shows replacement barrels for either rifle. I do not know if they will interchange but would almost bet that they will. The 2005 catalog has the replacement barrels priced at $117 to $125. I hope this helps. Good Hunting.

yes you can get interchangable barrels for the layman. so you could get a .50 layman made for bullets. and then put a smaller r-b barrel on for targets or small game.

i have a .40 cal barrel for my layman i use in the offhand matches.

I believe the Great Plains Hunter model has a shotgun style butt. A bit easier on the shoulder than that narrow curved abomination. :winking:

I just bought a .50 cal hunter barrel for my GPR. It come with a fitted tang and fits well in the stock. I got it from midsouth and am happy with it.Very easy to install. You can change out in less than 5 mins. Mark/wi

Latest posts

Back