• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rifle kits?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonegun1894

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently ordered a .32 FL kit from a reputable dealer who is always spoken of highly here, who wont be named here to give them a chance to fix the problem. I just received the kit about an hour ago and have some questions to you all.
I paid an extra $200 to have the lock inlet into the stock, and the sight and underlug dovetails cut into the barrel. Along with the rifle coming with a GM barrel. As you're probably guessing right now, none of that was done when I opened the package. So here are my questions...
I think I will return the stock and barrel for the inletting and dovetail cutting to be done. That part is certain. Dont you all think that I will be right in doing so as it is a service that was paid for but not performed?
The ramrod is too large in diameter to fit into either the barrel, the entry hole in the stock, or the rod ferrules. The end has a metal band that is pinned to the ramrod that is too large to fit into any of the same holes.
The other question I have is in regards to the barrel. I paid for a GM barrel. The barrel I received is not marked in any way. I have two GM barrels on other guns and they are both marked with company name, serial number, and caliber. This one has absolutely no markings on it. On one hand, I dont mind it being unmarked. On the other, I didnt know GM made unmarked barrels. Did I get a GM barrel, or was I just given a random box of parts that dont fill the order I paid for and sent on my way? Thank you all for your responses and your time. Please give any advise as it is certainly welcome.

Paul

I would request a FULL refund, return the rifle kit, and purchase elsewhere.
This is not the type of person that I would like to deal with.
The purpose of buying a kit from a reliable supplier is to get quality parts, not "Guess what's in the box"
"That' you can get from "Traditions" for a lot less, and probably as good
Old Ford

I honestly thought about it, but I want to give the seller a chance to make things right and fix it. Also, still dont know if GM marks all their barrels and I got ripped off, or if they sell some unmarked. I really dont think this seller would lead me wrong intentionally with all the glowing reviews they have had here. I at least want to give them the benefit of the doubt and a chance. I figure this is one of those times where they will either earn my return business for several more builds I have planned, or I will never buy from them again and spread the word while I'm at it. But I still want to believe it was an honest mistake on their part.

I'd also request a full refund. There's so many things out of order with that kit it sounds to me like you simply got 'taken.'

I have never seen a green mountian barrel the was
unmarked.

Send the kit back and get a full refund,what you
got is not even close to what you prded.

Lonegun1894 said:
.....I want to give the seller a chance to make things right and fix it.....

I really dont think this seller would lead me wrong intentionally .....

I at least want to give them the benefit of the doubt and a chance.....

But I still want to believe it was an honest mistake on their part.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind. Why are you asking for advice?

I would call and speak with the owner, let them know what is going on and work from there. If it is someone highly spoken of on this forum, odds are pretty good you will be taken care of, I would tend to think. In my experience, the majority of the members on this forum don't give praise when its not due.

Without speaking about anyone in particular, I tend to follow Napoleon's comment: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

It may be something simple, like they had two similar orders going and they got the shipments mixed up... there may be another guy sitting there with your order praising them for not charging for all the extra inletting work and upgrading them from a generic to a GM barrel :grin:

So, talk to them and find out. If it is just a mistake and they treat you right, that should also be worthy of comment.

In any event, you didn't get what you ordered and paid for, and they should take it back and give you a refund if that is what you want... and you shouldn't have to pay shipping for the return. There really shouldn't be any debate about it.

I would call them and suggest that they refund your shipping and refund some of charges for the extra gunsmithing work to make up for the inconvenience.

The important thing is, did you get a good piece of wood?

the wood is a fairly plain piece of walnut, but it is a nice change from the maple or whatever the wood on my CVAs is. Didnt ask for anything special there so cant complain. It isn't fancy, but I kinda like it. It isnt any one thing, but everything put together kinda has me wondering. :hmm:

That many mistakes in the same box is uncalled for.

I would call the supplier and ask for a refund + shipping costs.

If you have confidence in him You can do the deal again.

I would explain that you have lost confidence in this deal and want to start over or go somewhere else.

I would also recommend getting a Rice bbl (maybe at no up charge to make up for your troubles)

I possibly think that they can't reset the precarve in the profiler to inlet the lock....besides, they probably send out for all their precarves. I'd send it back and get a new stock and a marked GM bbl. Perhaps they'll get it right the second time...As an aside...that's why I build from a blank or only buy "kits" from either Chambers or Stith......Fred

I think you should call the vendor first, before jumping to any conclusions, and see what they have to say. Honest mistakes happen from time to time. Even Chambers screws up every now and then. It how it is handled after the screw up that makes a company a good or bad one to deal with. Someone might be filling in for a sick person not really knowing what they are doing but trying to keep things flowing.
It sounds like your order is wrong rather than someone trying to screw you. Just my opinion and we all have them.
Ken

I agree with that the order just got messed up instead of getting screwed over. With all the glowing reviews this outfit has here from so many members, I expect it will be taken care of and am not that worried about it. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer and will see what happens, but expecting good results. If this wasn't a respectable outfit, some of you would have said so long ago. And as has been said above, everyone makes mistakes, it's how they get handled that counts.

Contact the seller. Why haven't you done that already?

I wouldn't even have posted anything about it until after I had heard back from the vendor and they didn't make it right. If they made it right, great. No one else needs to know about it anyway. If they refused to make it right, well, THEN you can get on the internet, and tell the world. :wink:

I think Stophel is dead on about how to handle the situation, it may have been an honest mistake and the builder should have a chance to check his workorders and see what happened, I was once told the gun I recieved was a miss-ordered gun, this was OK the first time, the second time a broken stock at the wrist caused the gun to be sent back. This bothered me because the gun was very well wrapped with a stiffener board on both sides, I would have thought a bus could run over it with no ill effects to the gun, I have packaged a lot of guns for shipment and had no problems and this wrapping job was better than mine, when the third gun came with furniture I had not ordered I just kept it and made it work as it was an "in the white" project so I had some wiggle room to play with. Do give the builder a chance to correct anything that is wrong, if he is unwilling then I would not hesitate to give negative feedback if his name comes up by someone who is looking for a god builder, do take the time to review the whole situation from start to finish so you can evaluate his and your imput during the ordering phase, e-mail records are great for this, they removed any doubt as to the "he said..he said" syndrome. I hope all works out well and you soon have a new gun to your hands that is to your liking

The vendor has offerred to fix the problem, and pay for the shipping both ways. Cant ask for more. I probably shouldn't have worried, but had to wonder with the reviews everyone had of this vendor. Like was said earlier, everyone makes mistakes, but the way they fix them is how to evaluate them. This outfit has restored my confidence.

I think old40rod is right. I've seen people do some pretty stupid things when they don't keep their minds on the job at hand. One guy I worked with walked into a closed metal door when his wife was two days overdue to have their first child.

Fuzzy Spot said:
I think old40rod is right. I've seen people do some pretty stupid things when they don't keep their minds on the job at hand. One guy I worked with walked into a closed metal door when his wife was two days overdue to have their first child.
Nah he was just practicing loosing sleep being up all night with the baby.LOL :rotf:

ol vern said:
I have never seen a green mountian barrel the was
unmarked.

I know some kit suppliers will turn the GM logo to the botom when they install the breech plug. I have a flinter GM barrel made this way and the logo almost looks loke a proof mark.

Back