• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RIFLE NAME

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I call my Brown Bess "BESS", nothing original there, except that it's short for "Bessie May Mucho"... :haha:

JUST SO YA KNOW .... here's the statistics on the Gun name ART.... Next time it comes up on the shooting line. - Here's the anwsers: 14% of the submitted names were of a Masculine nature. 26% were of a Feminine demor and 40% were of the Neuter caste. And "Thumper" seemed to have a notable repeative occurance {whether by nature of "in front of the barrel' or "behind it!") I would have guess'd the Feminine gender would have
had the edge in this area.

I thought about that for a while as well. I figure most human males are hard-wired to have a certain amount of regard and affection for their personal weapons. The ones that didn't probably neglected them and wound up bounced out of gene pool. So we hang them up proudly, give 'em names
fuss over them so they're perfect condition.
By the way, I've got a Pedersoli Mortimer named
"Mort". :thumbsup:

I usually don't name rifles but if they are acting up they get called some names. some just nouns POS, some get some adjatives added in front of them if they really screw up. I will not go there on this thread :winking:

"THIS...IS MY BOOOOOM STICK!"
-Bruce Campbell "Army of Darkness"

I kind'a like that name. :thumbsup:

Preacher

I've only named my front stuffers, the others don't warrent names, they don't have enough characture.

My 54 cap I also call thumper, my new 54 GPR however is getting close to being named "Miss POS" for all the problems I've had with her.

I've also named other people's guns. There is a member here who I won't name that owns and shoots a CVA flint with nickle barrel and composite stock. the first time I saw it I called it Frankenstine, and it stuck. Now we just call it Frank. :rotf:

Some of my centrfire pistols have names, my cap-and-ball revolver does not, nor does my single shot percussion, nor the flinter pistol that I am building. Not an oversite, I just haven't thought of any yet.

Ruger GP 100 = "Buttercup" (After the Princess Bride)
Ruger Bisley 44 Mag = "Anne" (After the heroine of Jane Austen's book "Persuasion"
1911 Colt = "Bertie" (One of my wife's nicknames)
S&W K Frame 38 = "Dorthy L" (After Dorothy L Sayers, my favorite author)

None of my long guns, muzzleloader or breechloader, have names. For some strange reason I only name my pistols. But if I ever get a nice PC rifle I will surely name it.

GPR .50 Patch eater, 'cause she was
.56 smoothie Boomer, 'cause she does
Crockett .32 Skwerel Girl 'cause she can
Cabela's .50 Cheap Shot 'cause she is

The others will get names as they come to me.
Sure hope I run outta names LONG before I run outta guns.
Al

I've always had a hard time thinkin up names even for my pets, let alone a gun. I do feel my new gun that I won does deserve a name as I don't intend to ever sell it.Got it at the Old Settlers Day hoopla. Could name it "Salinda "after the town I live in (Salem)or "Lucky" as I paid 5.00(raffle ticket) for a 700.00 gun. Seems though that a gun should earn it's name and as of yet I've only took it target shooting.It's aweful purty though so maybe "Lady Luck" or "Lady Salinda"? Who knows I'll have to think on it. :snore:

I named my three main rifles, all flint, after male heros of the Old Testament, which will probably get my post deleted, and they are as follows; My silver mounted Pennsylvania in 45 is Solomon because of Solomon's glory and all the silver mountings reminded me of him, the 54 Leman is Joshua because of Joshua's military prowess provided by God and the 36 is Jacob simply because that's who I thought of. My Hawken isn't named yet because I shoot it so little.

Vic

Ralphy's beloved Red Ryder RB gun with a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time was called "Old Blue". Remember?

sharps4590 said:
I named my three main rifles, all flint, after male heros of the Old Testament, which will probably get my post deleted, and they are as follows; My silver mounted Pennsylvania in 45 is Solomon because of Solomon's glory and all the silver mountings reminded me of him, the 54 Leman is Joshua because of Joshua's military prowess provided by God and the 36 is Jacob simply because that's who I thought of. My Hawken isn't named yet because I shoot it so little.

Vic

Well then what happened to Mordecai, Ezekial, Moses, and Jedediah? :grin: Or the other side of the coin .. Ol' Satan, Beezelbub, or Lucifer? :shocked2:

Davy

Davy, first of all I don't have that many rifles! Wish I did!!! Secondly, I believe the Hawken will end up named Abraham as I've had it the longest. Next firearm will probably end up being named Isaac.......but then again I do like Mordecai and Ezekiel. More decisions.

Vic

Hawkens Plains Rifle, .54 cal., percussion, -name “Lucifer”,

lucifer1.jpg

lucifer2.jpg

lucifer3.jpg

lucifer4.jpg

cp.gif

Back