• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RLO No-drill slings for Cherokee/Seneca - Thoughts/Experience?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditt44

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I could not find any direct reference to the RLO no-drill sling on any of the forums here. https://fiddlebackoutpost.com/colle...custom-leather-no-drill-harnessed-rifle-sling

I am curious if anyone has used them or know of anyone who has tried them. I have a leather boot/sling from Ox-Yoke that I do like, mostly. I do not leave it on the gun after hunting and it's just a p.i.t.a. to keep taking it on and off with always having to loosen then re-tighten the lacing. I ended up putting a Grov-tech swivel mount on the ramrod thimble to run the fore end of the strap through that vs having it tied up around the barrel. I was looking for something a little more practical and effective without any concern for 'correctness'.

I emailed Fiddleback and got a nice reply and am working through some of their questions for fitment, so mostly looking for input if anyone has some real-world experience. Are these functional? Do they mar the finish? Durability? Comfort? whatever anyone may think.

I read elsewhere that the RLO version for the 1873 Winchester may be a near enough fit (shallow buttstock curve). I am looking to primarily use it on a Cherokee and Seneca. I have a mess of Grov-Tech swivel mounts but do not want to drill the stocks.

I understand "you want what you want". I am the same way.
However, the Cherokee and Seneca aren't rare collectors' rifles and if you are going to hunt with them, what's wrong with a hole in the stock? After all, the drill was invented long before the 1st flintlock. Plus you can buy a cheap sling with QD attachments and take it off with no problems.

I agree, you make fair points. It is a bit more of I know what I don't want, so looking at alternatives. I am not crazy about the price when I can get two or three different options for the same money, but I'm not crazy about those options so I'm in a look, read, evaluate and decide. Definitely a 'want' vs a 'need' so no rush about it.

It may be true that my handsome little TC Cherokee is not a collectors item, but I cannot accept an unnecessary hole in it's buttstock or forearm for a bit of convenience. I'll keep unlacing the barrel loop to remove that tube for cleaning. I put too much work into that kit rifle in the Spring of 1987 to disrespect it now. Lol. Funny, but true.
1000009078.jpg

Agree 100% The Cherokee and Seneca are hard enough to come by now and I would call them rare and they are special to those that have them. No way I'm drilling any of them. If I acquire one that has been, so be it.

The Fiddleback CS was very helpful and although the guy I'm exchanging emails with doesn't think the sling will work with the flare on the check side, I may give it a try. The suggestion was to go with the Winchester 1873.

As a side note, I crafted this buttstock pad/sling connector for a lever action last Fall. It does work very well on a stout recoiling rifle. No Marring. Only leather touches the stock.
1000005541.jpg

Latest posts

Back