• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rocky Mountain Hawken or a GPR?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When buying any of my guns, I never asked for opinions from a "committee" nor polled websites as to which gun I should buy......Fred

flehto said:
When buying any of my guns, I never asked for opinions from a "committee" nor polled websites as to which gun I should buy......Fred

That's a good policy :thumbsup:

Bobby James said:
...getting a $1300 rifle for $675.

Would I pay $675 for a used gun with that crack in the stock? Nodamnway. New? Nodamnway.

Your money, but I'm betting you can sit on your wallet a while, and with a little patience find a used one in perfect condition in the same price range. And not have to do any repairs.

#1 rule about gun buying is to get the gun you want. I've kicked myself plenty for not buying one I liked, but never the reverse.

They're like girlfriends- you don't have to love the one you're with, but its really only fair that you at least like her. If not, let someone have her that will.

If it makes you feel better I have been researching the Rocky Mountain Hawken for a while. They go from 775 to 850 used in great shape. I bought a Uberti Santa Fe Hawken and I am happy with it but I sure would have liked to have that extra 2 inches of barrel on the Pedersoli.

Bobby James said:
BrownBear said:
I'm really bothered by the crack in the Pedersoli

I'd be real sure you can stop that crack from spreading when you repaired it, or it will turn into a bum buy.

The crack is about an inch from the bottom corner of the butt where it rest on your shoulder. Even if it goes all the way across it would but take out the bottom inch. I know it can be repaired easy.

From day one I have said I want a Maple rifle in .54cal and I am very happy one has fallen into my lap. I am getting a $1300 rifle for $675. Not many people have one so mine will be unique.

I have said in the past I am getting it for my son but in reality he can get his own. This one is my personal rifle to do with as I please in the future.

I now have a nice Pedersoli Hawken in .54 cal that I bought at half price new and I will soon have a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken in .54 cal, that I bought at half price new, God is good to me.
I am not saying this just because its my gun for sale in the forum (54 GPR). But you can get a 15/16 pre-inletted extra fancy maple half stock for 212 dollars from TOTW or evn less for lower grades of wood, these stocks are 95 % inlet done for ya, you can cut stock to your LOP and have the maple stock hawkens you dream of for way less and can claim you built the rifle. All the stock parts fit on these stocks, and inletted for everything, except the buttplate, and toe plate. Or better yet make it a full stock hawkens for a few bucks more. This is a very simple build and you can get ya feet wet with limited stress. Just my opinion. Personally i wouldn't change the walnut stock on the gun its got nice grain to it but then again i love walnut.
P.S. Your comment not many people have one is a far stretch as far as a Pedersoli Rocky Mt or St. Louis. I shoot alotta Free Trapper/Mt man events and the Pedersoli Rocky Mt/ and Lyman GPR are the top 2 guns used hands down, the TC Hawken/Renegade being a close third. I personally use a TC Hawkens with a custom made 32 inch 54 caliber percussion 1-60 twist mowery 1" barrel, with a traditional rear sight versus the huge TC rear sight, with a brass blade front sight. But if you want something no one else or very few have the Pedersoli Rocky Mt is not it by, neither is the Lyman GPR, TC HAwken/Renegade, or Cabelas Hawken just being honest my friend.. Now a full stock Lyman GPR in maple in browned steel would be different, and cool.

Thanks for all the reply's, they were all fun to read. I wish we would have had a vote but opinions are ok also.

After counting all the votes the winner is........ buy the GPR in the classified section. Great idea but I am getting what I want and I want a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken. I will post pictures in a few weeks.

Bobby James said:
After counting all the votes the winner is........ buy the GPR in the classified section. Great idea but I am getting what I want and I want a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken.

so why bother everyone for their input? :youcrazy:

newtewsmoke said:
so why bother everyone for their input? :youcrazy:

Ok, I will stop posting and go somewhere else. Too many crazy people in one area make things weird.

Back