• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rookie Mistake

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
That is a long way, you can contact me, by looking up my info on the NMLRA website. I would be glad to talk about BP shooting anytime.
Michael

if i may, i suggest going to a smaller ball. makes loading and pulling balls much easier. work up a new load, you groups wont suffer.

I was using a .535 ball with a .15 patch. Going smaller on either one of them might make a difference. I was using what was recommended in the
Lyman Black Powder Handbook.

Have already learned a lot by reading this and other forums. Don't worry, any more issues will be put here.

try some .530. i went to a .526 and cast my own. i did what your doing now. had no one to learn from, i read this forums, and i go with trial and error. now i build my own and flint is all i hunt with. been at it about 12 years and dont plan on going back.

It is a private club, but they allow the public in most days except when they have tournaments. Cost is $10 for non-members. It is called the Dillman Range and is about 1 mile north of Lincoln on Old Hwy 65. The Hwy 65 bypass goes around it, so you have to go through Lincoln to get to the range. Members have priority, but I usually get there early enough that I have never had a problem. Check out the website.

Just had my first two dry balls this weekend. Got them both sorted in minutes by removing the vent liner and poring in a little FF, reinstalling vent liner and out it came. Learnt that here on this forum. So thank you all those you have dry balled before me.
Jonno

Will pick up rifle from shop on Thursday, all ready to go again. Going to try a thinner patch, although that was not the problem. Lack of powder was the issue!! It seemed to load fine with the .530 ball and .15 patch. Gunsmith said it was jammed in there real tight and doubted if CO2 would have worked at all. That makes me think to use smaller patch or ball, or both. Another week before I can try it, so stay tuned.

:doh:

Did the same thing last week at the range behind the cottage :doh: ...didn't want to walk back up hill to the cottage to get the CO2, so tried working some 3f into the touchhole... pointed muzzle down range and ball came out with authority...thank God for the patent breech! Remember though to reseat ball all the way down if it dosen't come out on your first try...other wise you run the risk of blowing a bulge in your barrel! :v

Been there a couple of times. Range rod with ball puller attached, screw firmly into the ball, attach big pair of channel locks up the rod a ways. Sharp blow with a big rubber hammer on the pliers will get it started out. Continue tapping on the pliers until it clears the barrel. I'm impatient, works quick and back into action...

I recommend when using a ball puller, 2 or 3 squirts of liquid wrench, let set over night then pull with a range rod with a pinned tip.

Rest assured that you're not alone. There are two kinds of muzzle loader shooters: those who have loaded a ball without powder and those who will.

Not all are rookies, either. I've been shooting front loaders since 1972 and still see it every so often. Some of us are very "well seasoned" and it still happens.

(Not to me, of course. :redface: )

At some point you will need to gain the confidence to deal with a dry ball yourself. It really is a simple thing to take care off. I have had a couple with my .45 cal Kentucky. I take the nipple off, put some powder in the drum, tap it across and replace the nipple. Cap and then fire. Don't worry about a tight ball and patch. If you can ram it down it will come out.

Cynthialee said:
I have only dry-balled a revolver. Now that was a PITA to fix...

It's really a deceptively simple fix: Remove the nipple, shake out the powder, insert a small diameter dowel (section of wooden or bamboo chopstick), and give it a tap or 2.

The most valuable thing you learn in pulling that ball is that it will indeeed be withrdrawn, one way or another. It may involve a lot of patience and embarassment but it's gonna come out.

In 30 years+, I've only had to remove one breech plug and that was an unsoldered pig-tail cleaning patch tip. Today, I would probably be able to get it out, too.

Wish one of us had been the fella @ the range. It's satisfying to successfully help another bp shooter who's in jam.

You did right this time.

:)

Back