• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rookie Mistake

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the range again yesterday. 3 times the rifle did not fire. I knew I had put powder in it. Not sure what the problem was, but solved it by taking out the nipple and putting powder behind it. Put nipple back in and it fired all 3 times. Slowly but surely I am gaining confidence in how to fix things. Have only seen that one other BP shooter at the range, so if there is a problem, I am pretty much on my own.

"Have only seen that one other BP shooter at the range, so if there is a problem, I am pretty much on my own. "

So was Jermiah Johnson.

Bring your smart phone to the range. Maybe you could get help here via the internet.

Take you rifle home & figure it out. Many a time one of us has poured a cup of coffee down the barrel to render the piece safe to transport home.

Sounds like you'll be able to offer valuable advice here to others from your own experiences soon.

Keep at it; see you at Friendship this summer or next.

Twice yesterday my 45 Kentucky didn't fire with .440 RB with 0.010 patch and 50 grains of FFFg. I know I had powder in it. My CO2 unloader did not work either time even though I cleaned out out behind the nipple. Went in with my ball puller and had to use a mallet to beat the ramrod back out. First time using the ball puller. Will be better next time.
I'll also try the powder under the nipple trick next time too.
Still can't figure out why it didn't fire. Had powder and the caps flashed. Cleaned out flash hole to barrel and tried new cap. Cap flashed but no boom.

It's easier to use a ball puller if you first pour some Thompson Center #13 bore cleaner down the barrel. The ball will slide out easily.

Good thing to use when putting powder behind the nipple is a specula. That is the thing that covers the end of the scope that doctors look in your ear with. It is like a small funnel. Works great for BP. Grab a couple next time at the Dr. office. If you buy them online, you have to order 500!!

Back