• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rough spot in bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Phillips

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a .45 flintlock that has developed a rough spot in the bore near the breech end. It was "tight" and easily fouled near the breech ever since I owned it. And I'm sure that my cleaning habits added to my misery. How can this be solved? For some reason this barrel has always been quick to rust. Thanks, Brad

Brad, if it were mine, I'd put some very fine steel wool on a bronze bore brush, and work on that spot, very carefully..Hank

You might try lapping the spot with a lead lap. Procedue described in an article of Muzzleloader mag a few months back.

I'll have to dig through my pile and re-read that. Took the old girl out today and shot her. The rest of the barrel is smooth as silk, just a rough spot right where the ball sits on a good 70 gr. load.

That could be a build up of burnt in varnish there also. I would take a jag, a wad of 0000 steel wook, get it in the barrel & squirt a lil kerocene in there & scrub the bejesus at that area. That may come off or out & you are not going to damage the barrel with the 0000 steel wool. Pull it out after about 50 back & forth scrubs, refluf the steel wool & do it again. Now keep in mine you have to have this steel wool tight on the jag & I usually use a jag 1 caliber under the bore. (on a .54 I use a .50 jag) this way you have some room for the steel wood, but you want it in there really Tight.
Put a wad of steel wood at the bore, take the jag on a cleaning rod & go in a small circle with pressure on the jag & force it in, this will make it tight but you need that tight fit. If it goes in esily it will not do any good.

:results:

Back