• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

round ball bounces off dall ram at 30 yards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me they are similar to venison not exactly the same taste but a close second. I like to bbq the meat best but its also wonderful when cooked in the oven or the crock pot ..

I have shot all the way thru several 200 pound plus bucks with a 70 grain 3f load. The last was quartering away and had a long way to go thru on a 60 yard shot. There is something very strange in this story. I shot one very big buck in the neck and the ball penetrated 19 inches of muscle and stopped under the hide on the off side. That was measured with an arrow shaft in the hole. There is something missing in this story.

I assure you this happened just as i have said ! I found it hard to believe myself and i seen it first hand .

Crowhop.... You should have seen the railroading I got just for mentioning that I owned an IN**** muzzleloader. Pure traditionalists get pretty defensive.

Elkinde said:
Crowhop.... You should have seen the railroading I got just for mentioning that I owned an IN**** muzzleloader. Pure traditionalists get pretty defensive.
These guys are all really cool.I dont know what you"re talking about.

The same thing happened to Dr. Gary White, owner of the old Green River Rifle Works. See my post in Traditional ML Hunting (this forum) of 5/13/04 subject "Opinions wanted for PRB charge and whitetail". Also "Disgusted, lost a deer" on 11-10-04. Go to SEARCH on main page, click ML HUNTING. Keyword- "opinion PRB". User name- Herb. Hit SEARCH at the bottom and it comes up. This really happened to me too, on a mule deer, and I'm glad to see your post in case there were some skeptics to my posts who did not say so.

My lil brother had same thing happen this year w/ a whitetail buck, 40 yds, 80 gr. 3fff goex, left an awesome bald spot,2 drops of blood knocked him right down,got up and gone tracked him fer two hours, nothing, i killed same deer week later, easy to tell, was a broken horned buck.ya oughta see the bruise under the unbroken skin...got a pic of it but ain't near smart enough to put on the forum.. ball must'a hit a rib and bounced across the rest fer 4or 5 ribs, deer was at a little angle, but you'd figure that close it have to penetrate..anyways we got him, brother felt alot better knowin there was one out there sufferin...wouldn't believed it if i hadn't seen it myself...dang that had to hurt! RC

flyboy said:
Just out of curiosity ThunderHeart, What do those Sheep taste like? I've had samples of most wild game but I've never had sheep. Just don't tell me it tastes like chicken! :rotf:

Nope. it doesn't taste like chicken. It tastes more like rattlesnake.

:grin:

GrayBear

Back to the question of a Dall sheep in Texas. I'd believe a white sheep, but you paid for a Dall sheep hunt, I've got a bridge in New York City I'll sell you.

Wow! There's a BS button on the smilies, but if you paid for that hunt, I'd be looking at the receipt. If it says Dall sheep, you got some money coming back at you.

Texas Dall sheep are born and bred in the same cave as the Jackalope. :bull:

BrownBear.. I saw a hunting show and they explained that the Texas Dall Sheep were bred from the actual Dall sheep. While physically smaller and bred for a different climate, they still have the impressive horns.

I have never hunted one, but the show I watched them hunting the animals in was not only impressive but some real pretty country.

Just as there are different breeds of moose and elk, although different in conformity, they are still moose, elk, and yes.. Dall Sheep.

These are game preserves, that capture animals and breed them in captivity to preserve the species. The Dall sheep are taken in Canada and Alaska, and taken to the preserves in Texas. The preserves are also breeding african big game. Because all animals have a limited life span, the older animals have to be culled. The cost of the hunts pays the high costs of maintaining these hunting preserves, where research is done on genetics, and blood lines, and where the animals are bred to increase the world's stock of these rare species. The goal is to reintroduce the species back to their native habitat., just as was done with the California Condor a couple of years ago. I have no doubt that the man shot a Dall Sheep in Texas. Don't bet your money on it.

If the breeding stock came from Alaska, the attorney general up here will be visiting Texas real soon. A quick DNA test will show pretty clearly where they came from. If they came from Canada, more power to them for ever letting the animals out of their sight. Maybe I'll do a bit of checking with game department friends in Canada on the history of this. When the winter snow is on, it wouldn't have been a big trick for anyone to make a quick visit, rope a few when they're down by the highway and head back over the border. Question is whether it was done legally or not. Real interesting idea. Gives me something to check on. If it's been done legally, no problem.

Got nothing against game ranches till the fences get close and the "sports" are shooting in tall pens the size of a back yard. Open range, fair chase hunting is fine by me, no matter who gets paid.

simon.gif

Well that 'splains the bounce-off round ball problem. All that wool. You have to pick a target that's been recently shorn. :rotf:

Russram.jpg

this is the Texas dall i shot believe it or not there are dall sheep in texas they are a smaller version of the wild dall i believe they were developed at Texas A&M University where they do a lot of animal research . That ram has more wool then a Texas dall normally has so he may have been a texas dall cross either way i was happy with him as for the price i'm owed nothing it's not like i paid several thousand dollars to hunt.. the hunt was rather inexpensive . On a 1300 acre ranch that has no cross fences and very rough terrian .

Thanks ! That is a cva mountian rifle in .50cal. That was the first animal ever shot with that rifle after i bought it ! It was used picked it up in a local gun shop for 130 bucks .Shoots like a dream !

The Texas Dall has no relation to the Alaskan Dall. It is a hybrid, a cross between domestic sheep (Rambouillet and Barbados Blackbelly) and the European Mouflon. Although most are white, they can range in color from white to blond or pale champagne. Some even have spotted markings, usualy fawn in color. Their horns are large and spectacular. They are raised primarily for trophy hunting.

Back