• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round patch cutter picture!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwhoffman

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I am sure I have mentioned a few times regarding my round patch cutter, we have this discussion at least once a month...square vs round vs muzzle cut, you know the topic :yakyak:
anyway, here is my handheld cutter. 1 5/16 cutter nets a 1 1/8 patch, typically cut 8 to 12 at a time, empty out every 24 and these shoot fine diameter wisein all my .50's, the .40 and a friend's .54(iffy in my mind)
118patchcutter.jpg

Ya, I know the topic. And being new at this hobby it gives me something else to decide upon...oh, what'll I do? :confused:

Your palm cutter looks slick, is it something you had machined, did yourself from an old hole saw? :thumbsup:

Rusty

Sweet! That really looks slick Brett. I bet it cuts the round patches quicker than I can cut square patches... :hmm:
Scott

long story short...
I had to cut some inlet holes in some fire brickfor the wood stove, wore theteeth off on the first hole.

I put the hole saw in the cordless drill and ran it against a belt sanderat a minimal angle until all signs of the teeth were gone, I followed up with some emery paperand then final polish with an arkansas stone. IT IS A RAZOR!
I cut into a uhmw cutting board and usually a 1/4 turn 2 directions does my cut.
I like this much more than using a drill press as I am in control and nothing to take the fabric from me. have one for a .32 as well (15/16 holesaw)

41Aeronca said:
Sweet! That really looks slick Brett. I bet it cuts the round patches quicker than I can cut square patches... :hmm:
Scott

maybe you need loan of it for a month??? :wink:

On that one, the hole saw has a hex shaft built into it, so I drilled out the billiard ball and epoxied the two together.

I have played with a few of these and found that some do not make good cutters.....
get one rated as "Bi-metal" and look at the welded seam, you want a good weld otherwise when you thin it down, it will crack out.

Looks good Brett. Been wanting to get around to making one. Nice job. :hatsoff:

Scott,
I got an arch punch for a .54 also.

I was thinkin' of it going on a trade blanket...but i dunno! it might need to go to a horner :wink:

whatta ya think???

So do you have something against the 14 ball or was the 13 unlucky? :grin:

Really! Nice idea. :thumbsup:

Marc A said:
So do you have something against the 14 ball or was the 13 unlucky? :grin:

Really! Nice idea. :thumbsup:

..born on the 13th :wink: allways been my lucky number. I stand on 12, but always hit on 13!

the kia has a 3, the range rod is a 10, ....... :grin:

UHMW = "Ultra High Molecular Weight", it's very dense polypropylene used for jigs/table-saw rip fences..and.. the cutting boards that are kind of white/milky colored, not fragile looking (couple of bucks at WallyWorld). Totally excellent for cutting patches/wads on.

FPDoc said:
UHMW = "Ultra High Molecular Weight", it's very dense polypropylene used for jigs/table-saw rip fences..and.. the cutting boards that are kind of white/milky colored, not fragile looking (couple of bucks at WallyWorld). Totally excellent for cutting patches/wads on.

Exactly!

how's the card weaving going? :wink:

FPDoc said:

Ah the little white cutting board the ol lady bought. Got ya :nono:

Back