• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roundball Feral Donkeys!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With enough time & Thai Green Curry you could make a pair of my old combat boots palatable.
(CHUCKLE)

Remind me sometime to tell you about the night long, long ago in "a place far away", where we "were treated to" Yagi Sashimi by a fellow from Guam.

yours, satx

house said:
Have you or anyone you know ever tried eating one? I have heard horse flesh is good eating. Just never had a chance to try it myself.

I never ate horse but I tried to eat zebra. It was like trying to eat a thick Manila rope. I don't know what the taste was like since I couldn't bite off a piece. It was prepared by a woman in Namibia who had cooked zebra many times before.

When I was in Island I was told by both an Islander and our In Brief Contact,,they raise horses ( HESS) in Island to eat just like we raise cattle.In Europe they eat Horse,,those that have /do say the meat is sweet and tender,,figuring the horse has the same diet as cattle why not,

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree....there are many "forms" of protein and whether it's beef, pork, lamb, beasts of burden, soy or insects, if properly prepared, it probably tastes good.

What it boils down to is...we're not hungry enough. We've spoiled our kids w/ a modern mindset asre what's preferred table fare and we pass that down to our offspring and they further limit the diets of their offspring.....so we've done great harm w/ the result that instant pizza and quick food hamburgers are what we eat. No wonder why many Americans are overweight and heart disease and diabetes are rampant.

In my early years during the "Great Depression", food was what you could procure and my mother prepared it so it tasted good. In this modern age of "hurry up", many mothers don't even know how to cook...so ordering out fatty burgers, fat rich pizzas and frozen dinners are their only alternatives.

Some of my friends remark to me...."you like all that weird ****". Yes....I nearly like everything and at least give all foods a try and then decide....unlike many Americans who won't even try eating an "off beat" food.

Hopefully, this post won't be taken as "preaching" because American eating habits are by and large, not healthful.........Fred

I was fortunate to travel the majority of South America fishing in some really remote areas.

I quickly learned, do not ask what is to eat.

I was treated to some young burro one time by a fellow who I met along the trail. He was packing a string of burros and they had some young ones tagging along. He had been in the wilderness for a few weeks and had got hungry for meat. He told me and a friend that it was a calf a rancher had given him because it's mother had died, but then after we ate, he told us the truth. I would have eaten it anyway, as we didn't have any meat either, except for one small catfish, and we had been in there for a couple days with just basic staples, beans, flour and such. It was good and tender.

They used to have a Burro Barbecue every year in the old mining town turned tourist town of Oatman, AZ. I never went to that, but remember it being talked about every year in the Arizona Republic, well before the Wild Horse Act, of course. I don't know how they cooked it, or how young their stock was, but the Barbecue was a real popular event back in the day.

I don't recall where I first heard it, but I've sure found it to be true:

Meat's meat. :thumbsup:

It's been my experience, if the locals are eating something, they know how to cook it, and it's usually good or they'd be eating something else.

Exception being fermented shark in Iceland. That is most definitely an acquired taste! And smell! :barf:

The "whole deal" is a LONG, LONG, "shaggy dog story" about "representing the people of the United States" as a military service-member & NOT "offending the locals" BUT the "short answer" is that the "beautifully presented & plated" sashimi turned out to be "overly-chewy", NOT particularly "good tasting" & the "local gentleman" finally told us that we had been eating 4-day old raw goat, sliced paper-thin.
(And then there were the "beautiful to look at & really great tasting "croutons", served to "decorate" a "chef's salad", in another tropical country, that turned out to be "toasted caterpillars".)

The "bottom line" is IF it tastes good in a "developing county", don't ask what you're eating.

yours, satx

When we were in South America at times we would catch a dolphin when trolling for sailfish, while it was still flopping around the crew would fillet it and put some concoction on it for us to eat while raw.

I asked simply for another beer.

Many years ago in Mexico, the deck crew would harpoon turtles and we ate lot of turtle steaks and turtle soup.

Showed up at the ranch on a Saturday and my brother and his Frat. Brothers had the large BBQ pit going. I asked what are you cooking, response was armadillo. Have a nice meal, I am going to DQ, armadillo's s carry leprosy.

End of the BBQ.

Armadillo is prefectly safe to eat, if it's thoroughly cooked. = I've eaten a lot of tamales & stew made of "pig on the half-shell" over the years.
(Otoh, dressing an armadillo & handling their raw flesh should always be done with rubber gloves as a small percentage of the population are carriers of Hansen's Disease.)

Fyi, Hansen's Disease is definitely NOT the leprosy that is talked about in The Bible & in other ancient texts.
(Our military fraternity owned CARVILLE STAR RESEARCH HOSPITAL, the so-called "last US leprosorium", in Carville, LA from 1945 until our researchers there found a cure for Hansen's & closed the hospital forever, several years ago.)

yours, satx

BrownBear said:
\
It's been my experience, if the locals are eating something, they know how to cook it, and it's usually good or they'd be eating something else.

Exception being fermented shark in Iceland. That is most definitely an acquired taste! And smell! :barf:

Being an Alaskan, you have probably tried jellied moose nose. I haven't but had 2 nurses in the hospital saying they sure wished they had some at home. :hmm: One was from Maine and the other from Newfoundland.

Need a name for a reply & it seems you are it Ben.
All you fella's please don't blame the feral's too much.
I know that this country is overrun by them but they give us all here some great hunting opportunities that otherwise we would not have. They are today & always have been the bulk of my hunting. Starting with an air rifle as a kid on the English birds, Starling, Sparrow, Blackbirds & then with a .22 rimfire on Rabbits, Hares, Foxes & cats.In my teens I got a 25-06, then got Pigs Goats & Dogs.
We have Horses, Deer, Cattle, Water Buffalo, Donkeys, the best Camels in the world & really about the only thing feral we don't have is the Armadillo :shocked2: .
As for native species decline, that is more directly associated with habitat destruction & disturbance by the economic activities of Man than by feral animals. Most of the feral population directly arises from irresponsible economic activity of Man.
Pastoralists opened up country & put in water points where before none existed for miles & miles. This has contributed to Kangaroo numbers in the multi millions in areas that the first European explorers perished for lack of game & ate their pack animals. Kangaroos in drought times ravage & destroy country the same as any feral would if in those numbers. Then they die of starvation.
Range management is a huge & costly undertaking with problems & costs arising that are not even dreamed of. Like helicopter shooting large numbers of horses one year & leaving the carcasses to rot. The next year was drought affected & as is the wont of cattle they chewed the horse bones & died of botulism.
Some things it is too late for now & what is,
Is. The Deer & Buff's taste good.
Be merry, love the Lord & shoot more feral's.
O.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dislike donkeys ever since I almost hit a group of them driving 120 mph pursuing a drug load in AZ. Probably one of the top 5 scariest things that happened to me in my career. Can't hunt/cull them in the States though.

Back