• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roundball hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDP1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I wanted to know what kind of damage to expect? I shot a small buck earlier this year and think I made a good shot but could not find any blood or hair or anything. If some of you could post pics that would be great. Thanks

This is what a .54 roundball does at close range.
8ptwithlilSweetheart003.jpg

8ptwithlilSweetheart005.jpg

Theres not always blood and hair that can be easily seen at the spot the animal was shot at. The spot it was shot in can mean a big difference concerning that too. I've taken a few now with round ball and never had one go out of sight from me. Most died within 50ish yards from where they were shot and there was a good 15, 20 yards before any blood was seen on the ground. I think I had 4 that never took a step. I suspect your shot wasn't as good as you think it may have been. :idunno:

Round balls are all I`ve ever used in a muzzleloader. I hunt deer with both .45 and .50cal. I aim for the heart/lung area and unless I hit a shoulder blade (which I try to avoid) usually get complete pass through penetration. Most of my shots are inside of 50yds. How far away was the shot you took? Are you sure it hit it`s mark?

It was about 80 yds. I practice a lot and am dead on at 75. My dad was standing beside me and said he heard it hit.It may have hit bone I done know.

EDP1 said:
I wanted to know what kind of damage to expect? I shot a small buck earlier this year and think I made a good shot but could not find any blood or hair or anything. If some of you could post pics that would be great. Thanks

If the hit was good the deer will die the same as if shot with a 30-06. If the shot was bad or in reality a miss there is no deer to find. No blood usually means a miss or likely a nonfatal hit.
At 50 yards a 45 caliber with 45 grains of powder will kill deer. IF its placed RIGHT.
Not placed right nothing works very well.

80 yards or so, 50 caliber RB broke the shoulder, messed up the lungs and exited the far side.
P1010028.jpg

DoeShoulder.jpg

P1010031.jpg

Dan

With 75 grains FFFG at 50 yards, can a .53 round ball pass through both shoulder blades?

With 75 grains FFG, can a .60 round ball pass through both shoulder blades at 50 yards?

Just wondering.

wahkahchim said:
With 75 grains FFFG at 50 yards, can a .53 round ball pass through both shoulder blades?

With 75 grains FFG, can a .60 round ball pass through both shoulder blades at 50 yards?

Just wondering.

Ayup. I've never recovered a .530 RB from any broadside shot on deer, including shoulders. That's with 80 grains of 3f, so I can't see 75 doing any worse.

Using .610 rather than .600, same results.

Very dead deer very quickly in both cases.

wahkahchim said:

Just wondering.

60 grains of 2F with a .600 rb will on a GA deer...

I wanted to know what kind of damage to expect?

Expect a dead deer if the shot was good.
As far as sign goes, you just never know... :idunno:
I have shot a few. One died on the spot. One went over 400 yards.
Most were somewhere in between.

Sometimes I have found big wads of hair where the deer stood when I shot. Sometimes there is no hair.

Sometimes there is blood at the hit site. Sometimes not. Usually the blood trail starts 20-30 yards down the trail. A doe I hit high thru the lungs last year with Sue, a .62 rifle, never bled for over 75 yards but left a huge wad of hair. She went 125 yards or a little more.

Usually, if there is a big gully, ditch, sticker patch, or hill that I can't drive down, that is where they run to before they fall over. :haha:

I havn't never had to look much further than 20-50 yrds for my deer. I used 70-80 grains of 777 powder. This year however I have switched to Goex fffg and will use 80 grains. I'm sure the results will be the same. I have in the past had to actually look for blood..as it's not always apparent. Start looking for blood from the point of impact.. and scan about 20 yards in the direction of the fleeing animal. Normally if ya hit it.. you'll find blood within 20-30 yrd range.

I hit a nice doe with my MK85 54gr RB 80grs of Pyrodex about 85yrds in the neck shoulder-blade She dropped on the spot. It all depends on ball or boolit placement.

Good luck

I just shot this deer a week ago, my first ML animal taken with my .50 carbine. The shot was 85 yds. 100 gr. Pyrodex.
CarbineDeer.jpg

I found 2 parts to the ball in the deer. The ball hit the spine and part of it sheared off. The smaller part went through the off-side shoulder blade and I found it in the shoulder muscle. The rest of the ball (weighing 150 gr.) travelled through the bottom of the spine leaving a big hole. I found it against the hide where it stopped. It still has bone fragments from the spine buried in the lead. The deer did not take a step, but went straight down.

" I shot a small buck earlier this year and think I made a good shot but could not find any blood or hair or anything. "

I have heard this often but generaly if it ws a good shot one will find a dead Deer, and most try not to bust up the shoulders withmostrb guns it is not needed.

tg said:
" I shot a small buck earlier this year and think I made a good shot but could not find any blood or hair or anything. "

I have heard this often but generaly if it ws a good shot one will find a dead Deer, and most try not to bust up the shoulders withmostrb guns it is not needed.

Yeah it not my first choice either but the front sight was all brass and I did not stake the darned thing....
I don't like hitting any major bone, unless its up in the neck, always meat loss.
But the photos are educational none the less.

Dan

The most awesome wound I can recall was from a .50 CVA with prb and 100grns Goex 3F. The large doe was maybe 25yds when I shot her. Very visible from where I fired was a fist size clump of red tissue nailed to a tree by my prb. I first thought I was watching a cardinal. Later when I got down and saw that the clump was not a bird I followed a very modest blood trail for 20 yds and there she was. The killing power of a prb is very formidable. If you hit a deer with one there will either be at least some blood/hair or a dead deer. May have to look close to find it but it will be there.

I feel that if you are shooting open sites at 100 to 125 yrds there is not much else that will kill an elk quicker than a lg cal R.B. you just have to put in the right place.

DSCF4231.jpg

I think your aim was true. you post the neatest pictures, that one would make a nice Valentine card to the "the one that broke your heart".

Back