• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roundball prices

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedFeather

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a roundball question. Was in my local Dick's and saw what little they had in ball. A few boxes of Lyman .570 and about ten 50-count boxes of Hornady .490. I have rifles in both that I haven't shot yet and mean to pick up some. The price for the .570 is a bit under $6 and the .490's are about $2.98. Is that a typical price or something I should jump on? I'm thinking they are old stock left over from when it was a Galyan's last year.

RedFeather

I'd go for the 490's I just bought 10 hornadays, boxes of 100 for $7 a bx plus shipping.. .570's don't know.

I just priced hornady 530 at our local sport shop and they were 13.95 a 100, we use to buy them at gander mt. for 4.50 a 100 just last year.
cut finger

RedFeather said:
Here's a roundball question. Was in my local Dick's and saw what little they had in ball. A few boxes of Lyman .570 and about ten 50-count boxes of Hornady .490. I have rifles in both that I haven't shot yet and mean to pick up some. The price for the .570 is a bit under $6 and the .490's are about $2.98. Is that a typical price or something I should jump on? I'm thinking they are old stock left over from when it was a Galyan's last year.

RedFeather

IMO:

Buy all the Hornady .490's you can carry out of the store at that price...excellent!

The .570s are nothing special.

Thanks to all. The .570's are probably what I will get as I have an old '73 Zouave that I want to try with them. Seems any ruondballs are about as scarce as hen's teeth in these parts, so all may be good deals when I factor in shipping.

RedFeather

Buy them ALL. If you really just need the .570's, you'll have them. Then you can sell the .490's for more than you paid AND less than they usually sell for. The money from the sales pays for the .570's. :thumbsup:

Correct answer is buy them. That's cheaper than I have seen them in years. At that price for .490's I would buy them instead of making my own. You could'nt get close to that making your own with the cost of time which does'nt count but fuel and lead would cost that much.
Fox :thumbsup:

if ya catch wal-mart with there clearence sale at the end of the season ya can git a box of 100 .490's fer 3.00....it good to work at wally world...........bob

In my area Dick's does not stock roundball. Wallyworld did not stock them this year either.

I didnt see any at wal-mart here. Gander Mountain has 50 cal. for about $10 per 100.
They dont have a good supply of any round ball and I have never seen 54 cal stuff there.
I found some .457 there and thats about all they have.
Some pistol balls and 50 cal balls.

Stumbled across and bought a couple of sweet deals last year:

20 boxes Hornady .440's delivered $4.50/100

16 boxes Remington .570's delivered $4.50/50

Sure eases the cost when you shoot a lot...

I would suggest that you all go in together with friends and purchase the materials needed-electric melt pot and molds-and mold your own balls. I do 45's, 50's, 54's,and 60's. I have a friend who is a x-ray tech who can get lead containers and other friend who get lead thrown away in building projects. I have in hand over 500 lbs of lead. I will take one day a year and just go crazy molding round balls. The only round balls I purchase is 32's.

All these posts are excellent reasons why I cast my own round balls for my .36, .50, .69 and .701 bores.
Have you priced a box of .67 roundballs lately?
I'll pour my own, thank you very much :smile:
Jack

Sometimes you have to dig way back in the stack to find the "deal" in a large old(since 1950) gun store I found 433,440,490 all for 3.95 a box its the price they put on 15 to 20 yrs ago on some..I cleaned them out. Fred :thumbsup:

I bought a box of 100 Hornady .440 RB from Dunham's for $2. They had been there a while and they only stock "modern" muzzleloading stuff now.

I work at a gun shop and can't get 490 balls that cheap. If you don't want them for you; let me know. Even with postage I could come out ahead. :)

Redfeather,

Thanks for the heads up. I went to my local Dick's and picked up 3 boxes (100 roundball) for $7 per box. Beats anything online I could find. Shipping really kills any price advanatage for online when you are shipping LEAD. Been eyeing the M/L stuff at Wal-Mart but it hasn't gone on sale yet.

Back