• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger OA Sighting Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdixon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a stainless OA last year, older gun (mid 70's) but never been fired, still in the box. I had played around with it a little since but, today I spent the afternoon with it to get her lined in.

W/ 35 grains of 3F she is grouping great, but was shooting high. I turned down the elevation screw on the back sight until it will not turn anymore. It brought the groups down but, not enough. It is still grouping 3" high at 25 yrds. To get POA I must use 1/3 front post and "frame" the target with the back sight. This is not the sight picture I want. Short of filing down the front sight, something that I do not think I should have to do on a "modern" handgun, what else can be done here? Open to any suggestions.

If you are still impacting high with the rear adjustable sight all the way down, you need a higher front sight. I had the same problem with my stainless Old Army, as others have had that I shoot with. On the stainless model I have you can drive the roll pin out of the front sight blade and replace it with a taller one. I made my sight blade from a piece of flat steel. Just cut with a hack saw and shape with file or dremel tool. Leave it a little tall until you can shoot it while filing the blade for proper elevation. Cold blue will finish it nicely. Take care to drill the hole for the roll pin-needs to fit good and tight through the new blade. Adjust your rear sight to its middle elevation then file the new front sight down so it shoots to point of aim at 25yds or whatever distance you want. You will then have plenty of adjustment with your rear sight. I replaced mine several years ago and it works great.

According to a post in this thread, you can get a brand new front sight blade from Ruger free of charge.
Here's details:
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum...653/post/398665/hl//fromsearch/1/#398665[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
That information on that previous post looks exactly what I am looking for. I had my polarity mixed up on my original post, was thinking of filing down that back sight to get it to line up, that taller front job will be just the fix. Looks like I am not the only one to experience this particular issue - thanks!

As a follow up to this question, refer to this Ruger forum thread:
[url] http://www.rugerforum.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/013176.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
IF you live in the USA. If, like me and many others of us with this problem outside the US, you contact Ruger, you get ignored.

tac

my SS ROA has a too-short front blade also, at 20 yds it's about 4" high, at 50 about right, but who takes shots at 50 yds? this is rear sight bottomed out. I'm gonna get a taller one. BTW a max load in mine has rolled over a near 300 lb. wild hog in the mid of winter '05, man some good eating B-B-Q. had been feeding near an old orchard and farm.

I had the same problem with my stainless OA. Fought it for a couple of years by holding low (not a good idea), then found out Rugar would replace it. Wrote them explaining my problemk, and they sent me a new sight right away. No more problems.

Latest posts

Back