• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Old Army transport

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumbs

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know the law when it comes to carrying a revolver like the ROA across state lines? I thought there really wasn't any real laws governing the transport of bp revolvers. Don't know though. Can you carry a loaded and capped ROA across state lines say in the cab of your truck. I have a carry permit for Pa. and know it doesn't apply in other states. Does anyone know the answer?

Each state will have it's own set of rules. Best thing is to contact every one you will go through and ask. Many states do not consider a BP gun as a firearm. It would however, fall under deadly weapon with most, or all.

In NY if its loaded it will be considered a firearms and you had better have a NYS pistol permit with that pistol on the permit. To fire a BP pistol in NY it has to be on your permit. You can posess it but to fire it is another story. Can't speak for NYC, they are a beast unto themselves....

to be on the safe side take the cylinder out if you have it loaded. would be same as unloaded modern pistol. they are fairly easy to install the cylinder quickly once you get the drill down pat, if need be.

There is no FEDERAL law or regulation regarding transport of a BP gun across state lines; in fact, it is explicit that as long as it's your gun you can carry it across state lines. As far as the FEDS are concerned.

However, state laws vary and they have the authority to differ from the feds on this issue. Contact the state authorities for the real answer - not everyone is as bad as NY, but several are very close.

In NY you actually can only own a muzzleloader pistol without a pistol permit if you do not have the components to shoot it. If you have the components it has to be on your NYs pistol permit. So even if you are hanging it on the wall if you have a rifle that shoots the same size it is suppose to be on the permit

You could carry a Howitzer in the cab of your truck---as long as you don't get caught!

A fully loaded & capped handgun Is a HANDGUN in most States! Can get you just as "locked-up" as a .45 Auto Colt Pistol, so you might as well carry the .45!

PA has reciprocal agreements with carry holders in I think 28 States. That means that you're legal in those 28 States---Just don't drive through NJ OR NYC to get to one of them or you're a State felon!

Check your PA laws as well as those of each State that you travel through to be sure! When traversing NJ the gun and the ammo have to be in separate containers, preferably locked, and most County DA's will prosecute a loaded magazine as a loaded handgun and try to get away with it! :shake: :bull: :(

In theory, the Federal law supercedes the State law, but you could spend your life's savings trying to prove your point from inside a jail cell! :surrender:

For more about the ridiculous NJ laws, go to the Association of NJ Rifle & Pistol Club's web site at: [url] www.anjrpc.org[/url] . It's a real eye opener :shocked2:

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok do you know where I can go to get the info as to what states Pa works with with the carry permits? Is there a site somewhere that has it?
Right now I am concerned with the states I will have to travel through to get to Florida. Maryland, Virginia, North and South Carolina, Georga and Florida.

I just found this but have to look into it more.
[url] http://www.personaldefensesol...Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PDS&Product_Code=CCW01[/url]

Thanks for the help

in North Calinky a pistol has to be either in open sight as in on the dash or out of easy reach, i.e. in the glovebox or in luggage. under the seat, on the seat under a jacket or in the console is a no-no. cannot be concealed within reach.

Good site. I keep getting the same info. As you guys stated offical info is needed to be sure but it sounds like it is pretty accurate since I found the same info in different places. Also this site was upgraded a couple of weeks ago.

:hmm: Carrying any handgun (loaded) across state lines is asking for trouble if you are searched. However,no PO will search your car unless there is "probable cause." You do not have to admit to having any firearms in your car, if questioned. The only time there is impunity in carrying a handgun across state lines and that is when & if you are going to another state to attend and shoot in an NRA registered Pistol Match---this is Federal Law and supersedes all state laws; provided you keep the ammo locked up in a separate steel container :v .IMHO I wouldn't carry any loaded handgun in your car unless you are going to an "adjacent" state with reciprocal carry laws. :thumbsup:

Pasquenel said:
You do not have to admit to having any firearms in your car, if questioned.

Huh? Are you saying that you either stand mute or lie to the LEO when asked if you have any weapons in the car???

Brilliant idea. I'm sure that will be in your favor when they find them.

If I am not mistaken in Michigan your are required to announch that you have a gun in your vehicle. Especially if you have a carry conceal license and are wearing it.

A quick look at[url] www.usacarry.org[/url] shows that the only neighboring state that will honor your permit is West Virginia (as long as you're a PA resident). So you're at the mercy of the transport laws of whatever state you choose to enter.

Lots of guys in Jersey get the Florida carry permit that's reciprocal in 28 or 38 States, I'm not sure of the amount. The Florida Permit is honored in PA. If things get any worse, I'm going for mine...it takes a day to do cause of the classroom instruction and the practical test.

Well worth the time & money.

Dave

Poor Private said:
If I am not mistaken in Michigan your are required to announch that you have a gun in your vehicle. Especially if you have a carry conceal license and are wearing it.

Close. In Michigan:

IF you have a CPL/CCW you are required to disclose that fact to an LEO immediately, before he asks for your license or anything else. And you have to do it whether or not you are "carrying" at the time. He will then ask if you have any weapons; if you say yes he may ask where they are and what their status is, and he may even ask to see them.

If you do not disclose the CPL and the officer runs a license check the first thing that comes back is the fact that you are a CPL holder, and he is now concerned that you may not be truthful with him. Not a good thing.

Notice that this is about possession of a CPL, not possession of a gun. You do not need to volunteer that you have a gun in the car, whether or not you have a CPL. If he asks, you must truthfully answer. If he doesn't ask, you can legally hold your peace, but I for one would not want to have him discover a gun on his own. Much better to tell him up front that there's an unloaded gun locked in the trunk in a closed case...

Anyway, that's Michigan. Your circumstances may vary.

Holly Commie Country Batman!

Of course in Texas you can carry a concealed loaded pistol in your car without a permit.
If you have a conceal permit you can pack in in most places .
Texas changed the law recently to allow folks to pack in their cars without a permit, car jacking seem to be way down for some reason. :hmm:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf#page=71

Dont know what I'm doing wrong but I just get a white page ?? Here in Texas you never know when one of those peace loving vistors from the south of the river is going to flip out. ( And if ya never seen one they used to build a neat wicked full auto 22 SMALL hand gun very small, they had all been gone for years but a few are showing up on the streets here (gun was from the 60s) Fred :hatsoff:

Back