• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RUST REMOVAL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

General

Pilgrim
Reaction score
ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR LIQUID BASED RUST REMOVERS THAT DON'T "FROST" THE BASE METAL?

THE MOST RECENT FORMULA I TESTED WAS WHITE VINGER AND TABLE SALT. NOT TOUGH ENOUGH FOR RUST IN PITS.

WHEELLOCK

I've used Brownells Steel White for a number of jobs, ranging from just removing bluing, to cleaning an old CVA revolver that had rusted up solid inside and out. If you follow the directions, it won't touch the base metal at all.

Don't let anyone talk you into electrolytic rust removal unless they're an expert. I've tried it numerous times, following several different sets of instructions and I've always had various problems.

Try a product called Blue Wonder, and OOOO steel wool? Does a nice job.
Bass Pro Shop sells it.

I have used Naval Jelly as well with good results. It might leave the surface a littel grey but that is very easily polished up.

Back