• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust Remover

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B&P beat me to it. :grin:
The electroylsis method is excellent and simple. Do some googling and tons of hits will come up on the method. You can make a small set-up from a one gallon jug, or like mine from half of a 50 gal. drum. Removes only rust.
I'll go :eek:ff a bit here for some cautionary advice. Some folks will find a neat old antique and put in an elec. drum to remove the rust to find the whole item has vanished. :shocked2: A completely rusted through thing is all rust and will vanish. Be careful wat ye ask for. :wink:

go buy some phosphoric acid at the hardware store. Cut it to 10%. It woks on all iron alloys. It is the main ingredient in blue remover and most toilet cleaner. It only takes about 1 hour to do the job. Rust leaves pits. It will not replace the corrosion nor will anything else. Do not leave any part in it over night. It will etch if left for too long. A pint of it will last for years.

There are a lot of good options in this thread, I just want to tag onto what Jerry said and mention some inexpensive Phosphoric options that the OP might be able to get.

I usually mechanically clean all my parts but a while back a friend had a meteorite he wanted to clean up, and did not want to pay the $$ for "name brand" chemicals. Due to the nature of the metal it had to be chemically cleaned, so we started out with a bath in NAPA's "Macs Aluminum Brightener" PN: MAC 1478 which is 10% Phosphoric and 10% Sulfuric, as well as some NAPA Naval Jelly (20-30% Phosphoric).

It worked pretty good and removed a lot of rust and flake before transitioning to electrolysis, I know there are NotAPartAvailable branches in Maine so it might be worth checking out. I think its like 25 bucks a gallon.

Back