• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

S/S cleaning procedure--bathtub?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azdonw

36 Cal.
Reaction score
When I cleaned my new (to me) Navy Arms double, I took off the barrel, removed the nipples, and held the barrel ends under flowing water from the bathtub. Lots of gunk all flowed out the removed nipple holes. Next, I used patches doused in alcohol/Windex mixture with a cleaning jag. Then I used pipe cleaners with the same mixture to clean out the nipple channels. Dried thoroughly with patches, lubed lightly and replaced the nipples.
But I got to thinking about some water that was bound to get between the two barrels--could that cause unseen rust in the long run? Is the bathtub method not a good idea for doubles? Or am I just being @nal? :shocked2:

azdonw said:
But I got to thinking about some water that was bound to get between the two barrels--could that cause unseen rust in the long run?
I always had the same thought when I had mine...used to stand the breech in a bucket of hot soapy water and pump flush it squeaky clean that way...but I used an air compressor to thoroughly blow out the rib crevice along each side...then aerosol spray WD40 along each side.
Lacking an air compressor, you could just stand it on some newspapers for a few minutes to get an initial drain-off, then do the aerosol spray WD40

Start a compresser.....wd40.....ye gods this is getting expensive and did they have a compresser way back when????

Kettle of boiling water is your friend. Job done nite nite :hatsoff:

Brits

Brits, no they had to get by with small cans of compressed air; got them at the tradesman's that sold the cans of WD-40 ...

Kidding aside, AZ, I always cleaned up after the soapy suds with near-boiling water, holding the barrels with a twisted towel, to heat the metal and drive off any moisture, then oil.

As to the bathtub routine, I wouldn't want to clean my BP guns in there lest the fragrance and dirt ring leave it smelling like the wash basin on bath night at Fred Ziffle's pig farm ...

:rotf:

BillinOregon said:
Brits, no they had to get by with small cans of compressed air; got them at the tradesman's that sold the cans of WD-40 ...

Kidding aside, AZ, I always cleaned up after the soapy suds with near-boiling water, holding the barrels with a twisted towel, to heat the metal and drive off any moisture, then oil.

As to the bathtub routine, I wouldn't want to clean my BP guns in there lest the fragrance and dirt ring leave it smelling like the wash basin on bath night at Fred Ziffle's pig farm ...

My Mrs when she saw that crud ring :nono:

B.

LOL...I've had air compressors and air tools in my workshop for 40 years...I'm not going to NOT use if its right there
:grin:

Bathtub should work. I use the kitchen sink and the sprayer with a funnel in each barrel (my dog doesn't mind a bit). I was immersing the breech in a bucket of warm/hot water, but I have two guns with little holes between the barrels at the breech, and I don't like immersing them.

Sprayer sounds like it would get less water on the outside (and between) the barrels. I like it.

:nono: WD40 is not used by any of us gunsmiths, it draws water and there has been shooters that have had action frozen by low tem will hunting. WD40 in simple saying is manure :td:

Frenchman said:
:nono: WD40 is not used by any of us gunsmiths, it draws water and there has been shooters that have had action frozen by low tem will hunting. WD40 in simple saying is manure :td:
:rotf: ...I'm sure glad to know all that.

If I ever live in NY I'll try to remember that...but, meanwhile...I'll continue to use WD40 on everything here in North Carolina like I have the past few decades...its great and I order aerosol cans by the case...LOL

I use one of the old brass fire extinguishers,the kind they use to fill with water and pump on the fire. It is excellent for cleaning BP guns,just fill it up with hot soapy water put the nozzle in the bore and slowly pump the water in the barrel.Works like a charm with very little mess.

I have several opinions
1. WD-40 not the best gun oil (especially since they reformulated it) I like G96, Fluid film, and Kano Kroil.
2. Air compressors also compress moisture in the air (water) so without a dryer they become air and water injectors. also compressed air is colder than ambient air so barrel condensation can occur if conditions are right
3. When I clean with water I put a big pot right on a camp stove and the barrel goes in. the hotter the water the better
4. I have seen bad things happen to guns cleaned with WD-40
5. if water between the barrels is your concern try a hair dryer

Glad all that works for you out there.

Other products and techniques work for other people who live in other climates in other parts of the country.
In my time on the planet I have yet to find very many "one size fits all" solutions.

Also glad the poster above was trash talking WD40...made me go check and I only had 2 cans left...just ordered another case of 12oz aerosol cans through Amazon...on sale, no tax, and free holiday shipping...life is good!

Last edited by a moderator:
I come at it from a bit different angle- Cleanup AFTER the cleaning. Bathtubs and sinks get awfully messy, so I just use a bucket. No missus looking over my shoulder to see how well I cleaned the tub or sink. Somehow that chore always turns into a general cleaning of the whole bathroom or kitchen when she has too much of a role in it.

Compressed air is your friend, wherever you get it. I like to dry with the air, add the oil, then hit it with air again to blow the oil into crevices. Then I wipe down the excess.

It is possible that in some double guns, you could get water between the barrels. A good spray with WD-40 and a good blowing with compressed air will usually remove all traces of water that could be hiding in those cracks. Wipe away all of the WD-40 and apply a light coat of either a good gun oil or a wax such as Renaissance wax and you will have no rust problems.

If you don't have an air compressor, you can buy compressed air in a can at most electronic supply stores.

As for cleaning in the bath tub......all I can say about that is that either you are a far better bath tub cleaner upper than I am or your wife is far more tolerant than mine. I clean my guns with a plastic bucket in the garage. I also do all of my oiling out there just to make sure that no oil drips appear on my carpet. But, that's just me. If the bath tub works for you and you are not catching hell for it, go for it. :hatsoff:

For me I use a length of fish tank hose,bout 6 ft long with faucet attachment on one end...plug the nipples with another small piece of hose,blocked on one end,or toothpick in my touch hole for my flinter.pour some dish soap down the barrel,while I'm hookin up to laundry sink.Then I turn barrel upside down ,over the sink ,with the hottest water I got and feed tube up the bore ,right up to the breech then,inch it out,til it comes clear.then I let barrel sit for a bit,1 minute or so ,while I put tube away...it self drys ,run a coupla patches down,then WD-40 down the barrel,wipe down the outside ,and wipe the wood clean of any WD ,don't like what it does to the wood.
Put it away til next time

"WD40 is not used by any of us gunsmiths, it draws water"

WD-40 stands for "water displacement, attempt number 40 to get the formula to displace water, Step number 40 was the perfect formula or it would be called WD-41, WD-42. WD-40 displaces water as well as Isopropyl alcohol. Not the best at rust prevention, but it does work.

I watch numbers of National shooters who clean at the range before going home, they use water available to them, not boiling water. Hot water causes rust, been there and experienced the rust.

Latest posts

Back