• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SAFTY....of New Fangled Plastic Black Powder Containers.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akapennypincher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well Kids have any of you had a MisADVENTURE with a Pound of BP. I was Rearranging my Stock of Said Substance, and put the Content of Leftover FFG in (1) Can.

Well I had (2) MT FFG Plastic Container, so I took em out were it was Safe to do an Experiment.

Let say the Container MELT before the Powder Safely goes POOF, NO BOOM, or Band...

Think if you have a Fire in your home and had a FEW POUNDS of Real Black Powder Stored, the Plastic Would Melt, and you would have a Poof of Flame, and nothing more exciting than that....

Actually metal cans do something similar...they have a weak point built into them as a 'burst point'...if you look closely at the top and bottom of a can of Goex for example, you'll see a sharp dent barely the size of a match head that's been partially punched halfway through the metal.

It might be that plastic containers are cheaper to make using recycled plastics and injection moulding, then stamping metal parts and sealing seams, etc...plus plastic won't rust like some metal cans of powder I've seen...

...plus plastic won't rust like some metal cans of powder I've seen...

And less likely to arrive dented or crushed after a trip across country in the back of UPS van...

whitetaildg said:
Hey Roundball,

You had better get to bed so you can dust "TOM" tomorrow!

W.T.
Goin' right now...4:30am comes real quick the older I get...sure hope I get a crack at that bad boy
:grin:

I figure the manufactures already spent plenty of dollars and time checking out what you did.
So that leaves me more time to shoot, rather than play fire inspector.

:winking:

The Swiss I have seen recently was in plastic containers. I don't know about any other brand of black powder in plastic. I think many substitutes are in plastic, too (but who cares? LOL).

Regards, sse

Also I have been know to pour about a 100 Grains of BP down a Kangaroo Rat Hole, and seal the hole, as the Rat Pack Up and Leave from the Fumes of BP Post Ignition, if the Fume don't killem... :blah:

sse said:
The Swiss I have seen recently was in plastic containers. I don't know about any other brand of black powder in plastic. I think many substitutes are in plastic, too (but who cares? LOL).

Regards, sse
Swiss, Graf & Schutzen come in Plastic.

In some respects, I think the plastic could be "softer" on the powder during transit causing less breakup of the grains (less fines).

Smokey in Oz said:
Mike, I've got some Pioneer FFFG in plastic, dunno how old it is.
Smokey
Oh yeah. 777, Pioneer, Black Mag, Pyrodex, all of them fake powders come in plastic. Some of them (APP pre-loads) come in plastic tubes in plastic cans.

Lotsa Plastic.

Back