• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scent Masking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering what some use to mask their scent when hunting. I am talking about a traditional method - not the numerous modern scent blocks available now.

I am gonna try wood smoking my clothes to mask my scent. Seems no matter how careful I am the wind swirls alot where I hunt and I am sure I lost an opportunity at a deer the other day because she smelled me. I don't think she saw me.

Any thoughts?

I keep intending but always forget to cut the scent glands off a buck in rut and throw them in the freezer for next year. It just seems like it would be "natural" and highly effective.

Of course, if there's a dominant buck in the neighborhood, it would put new meaning into "Watchyerbackside!" :rotf:

I use tarsal and fresh collected urine when I can get it.I mix it altogether in a pump spray bottle and spray myself down,pantlegs,arms etc. several times a day,and use it for misting when I'm rattling.You can't hide from a whitetail's nose,so I figger if ya can't beat'em,join'em.I've seen some impressive results using this concoction over the years.

Scent masking is really just pointless.

Consider this. Put a dog in a football stadium with 100,000 unfamiliar people and his owner. Walk him around the down wind side of the stadium and tell me if you think he will find his owner?

In a woods where there are hundreds of mice, chipmunks, squirrels, deer, etc, any good tracking dog trained to find a deer, or a lion or a bear or a grouse has no problem sorting through those scents and keeping the trail.

If you are upwind of a deer, it will scent you. Whether it is paying attention to its nose is debatable, but they will scent you. And you will smell, no matter what you wash your clothes in, no matter what you shower with, and no matter what boots you wear on your feet. You will smell if you continue to breath. If you quit breathing, - well, you will smell worse shortly :) :)

Here in Florida there's really only about 6 weeks a year that it's cool enough to even think about scent control.

I always make it point to walk through ditches and step in all the poo I can walking in to help a bit. I've also been known to pick up a semi fresh cow pie and put in the blind with me. I figure it can't hurt. But I'm not gonna go overboard with any of it. You can't mask your breath anyway.

The best scent control is always to be downwind.

Brent said:
Scent masking is really just pointless.
I respectfully beg to differ.While I'd agree that you can't hide completely from a whitetail's nose,you CAN confuse them and/or overpower your human scent with good,quality,all natural,homebrewed deer scent in my experience.

I employ misting while I'm rattling,and beleive that a misted scent can carry on a steady breeze up to 200 yards downwind,the direction that 99% of bucks responding to rattling will come from and/or try to circle to.Fool their nose into confirming what their ears are telling them and they sometimes come in on a string.

I do alot of stillhunting/stalking,and it is impossible to hunt into the wind all day...I mean...you have to come back eventually eh,lol?Seriously though,in the hilly,wooded terrain I hunt,winds are swirly and unpredictable,constantly changing.i use my deer cologne heavily,as I posted previously,if ya can't beat'em(hide from them)...might as well join'em(smell like a deer.

One of my top 3 bucks ever and personal best at the time I shot @30 yards while stillhunting as he approached me head-on along a scrapeline,from DIRECTLY downwind.He stopped and stood there staring at me once he noticed me,stretched his neck out,licking his nose,curling his lip(Flehming)while I sent a 150gr 30-06 round through the white patch on his neck.I have NO DOUBT in my mind that scent masking played a major role in that success...I reeked of tarsal and doe pi$$ at the time,and trophy class bucks don't normally stand 30 yards downwind of hunters all dumbfounded and confused,posing for a rifle scope at that close of range.That was a long time ago('92) and I've been a firm beleiver in scent masking ever since and could relate many more instances since then where deer were totally duped or at least confused by it.

that said,I have no faith whatsoever in "Scentlok" type products,hunter's soap,scent eliminators etc....waste of money imho.You can't make yourself scent-free,but you can make yourself smell like a deer.

you can try some cedar or spruce and rub it but up here I just stand in the camp fire smoke so many forest fires up here it covers your scent well

What works for me?
Wood fire and wet leaves to smoke clothes after washed in baking soda.
Myself,shower with Ivory soap,hair included.Brush teeth and enjoy a piece of hard pepermint candy.

Try rubbing your hands, and pants, with brush, leaves, grasses, and dirt you find at the location. I also use baking soda to eliminate scents from soaps, deodorants, shaving cream, toothpaste, and the myriad of other products we rub against or use every day.I dust the baking soda on my crotch- a major source of human scent, just to confuse deer.

You also need to understand where your odor comes from. Dead skin cells( rafts) popularly known as "dandruff", fall off you all the time. Since 65% of your body heat escapes off the nape of your neck, and back of your head, consider wearing a hooded sweater, or parka, when hunting. Wear gloves to cover your hands, and use something to close off the wrists of your sleeves. Other wise, every movement of your arm SHAKES out dead skin cells onto the ground. The same goes with pants. Tuck the bottom cuffs into your boots. If you can wear rubber boots that at least come up to your calfs. This will catch all the dead skin that falls down your pant legs.

Those dead skins cells begin to be eaten by air borne, and ground borne bacteria. Its the digestion of the dead skin that gives off the odor, that dogs, and other animals "SMELL" of you. The odor persists until all the skin is eaten up. Their olfactory centers are capable of differentiating a lot of separate scents. Some well-trained dogs can trail a scent through extraordinary conditions and find their man.

I wear rubber waders, or boot, when hunting, and use Doe in Heat on the instep of the boots to confuse the bucks. I refresh the Doe in Heat often, and hang some cotton balls soaked in it from trees to let the scent carry around the area. Its not that they may not get my scent; they simply are too interested in that DOE, to bother with me.

In farm country, where most deer hunting takes, place, deer are used to the smell of man, and machinery, and fire. Smoking your clothes is good, but also rubbing your clothes, and exposed skin with wood ash from a fire will also work. Animals like deer are used to fires, and the smell of smoke, or ashes simply is not an "alarm factor" unless you are hunting in truly primitive areas, where no one lives.

In cold weather, wearing a thin ski mask will help keep the dead skin from your face from giving you away. Breathe through your nose- not your mouth. That will direct the dead skins to fall downward, and not out into the air where it can travel to a much broader area. In cold weather, cover your mouth and nose with a scarf, or bandanna, and that will keep all the dead skin from escaping to the ground. Goggles over your eyes, will keep the dead skin from your eyebrows, eyes, and cheeks from escaping. The closer to the ground, the more localized your scent will be.

You cannot mask or hide all of your scent, as long as you live. Your own body heat is the prime mover of the dead skin cells that create your unique body Odors. But, when you understand where the odors come from you Can take steps to minimize the amount of dead skin you leave all over, and then masking scents, and Attractant scents can help keep the deer guessing. :hmm: :thumbsup:

Native American hunters would fast for at least a day, to clear their stomachs of foods that created odors. They would cover they bodies with wood ash from fires, and then brush themselves down with grasses, and leaves from the location where they were going to hunt. If they broke into a sweat on hot days, they refreshed the rubbings frequently to mask their scents.

All this has been done my modern day hunters, wearing little clothing, or fully garbed. But, you first have to understand the source of the odors, that allow animals to smell you from a distance. Then, move as slow as a tree, stay down wind, and stay low. Move only when the game is NOT looking in your direction, nor focusing his ears in your direction.

I proved this one night to my second wife, by showing how to walk up to within 6 feet of a wild rabbit in a neighbor's lawn. We were in street cloths, out for a walk,when the rabbit ran across the street in front of us, and stopped in the lawn. If an OLD FAT GUY like me can do it, so can you. :rotf: :hatsoff:

Tobacco and jerky. :grin:

I :surrender: to the power of the whitetails nose and just try to keep the wind in my favor as best I can.

Jethro224 said:
Tobacco and jerky. :grin:

I :surrender: to the power of the whitetails nose and just try to keep the wind in my favor as best I can.

i'm with you ,you can't cover your sent ,deer smell a man with what ever the cover sent.

were what you will if it gives you more confidence,but...

"KEEP YOUR NOSE INTO THE WIND AND YOUR EYE ALONG THE SKYLINE"

and you'll do fine.that's been my experience anyway

good luck afield

DSC03379.jpg

Smoke or rubbing a lot of evergreen needles are some methods, I look back 45 years ago and we hunted in red or green flannel shirts a red crusher, blue jeans, with rifles and bows and arrows (real bows without training wheels) and we took very nice Deer on a regular basis, I think noise is ones biggest enemy but it can be managed to sound natural, so I am not big on the scent/camo mindset, I firmly believe that a great deal of the stuff many "have" to buy for Deer hunting does the supplier of the product more good than the hunter, and missed chances are easily blamed on things other than poor form/approach in the field, just my pennys worth.

TG, I agree, seems like a lot of people today think you can replace woosmanship with gadgits.
The hide and meat hunters of the past damn near wiped out the deer herd in a lot of places, They did not have ANY of the so called must have items. They were hunters! :v

I attempt to hunt odorless. I shower with unscented soap before hunting and all my clothes that I hunt it are outside, away from human odors, as much as possible. I don't think you can ever be either totally without smelling like a human, but I do all I can to try not to have any smells at all. I travel with all my hunting clothes and "stuff" in a plastic tub with a good lid on it. I use absolutely no scents or cover scents. I rarely hunt, without having deer around me sometime during that day within 30yds., so it works for me. Otherwise, if you really like to hunt, hunt with the wind to your back, you can hunt longer that way. :thumbsup:

Plastics "outgas", too. You would be better off putting the clothes in a clean duffle bag, or burlap sack, IMHO.

You are right, but this all goes in the car and the fabric of the duffels usually have a water repellant on them that has an odor. Besides, there is nothing that prevents odors from going through a burlap bag, you ever smell one? I can smell them when they enter the room. Of course, just being in the car with a porous material, would permit all the odors that are in the car that we take for granted, like vinyl's, fabrics leather, fuels, dogs, kids and women's fragrances. There are leaves and cornstalks in my plastic tub and it has worked well for me for more years than I can remember. The 4 sets of camo clothes stay outside on a line, and outside with them is the tub. I just drop the clothes that I well wear in the tub and take off, usually rotating clothes as to how many times I wear them before they get a baking soda washing/soak. Everything I wear on the outside including the fanny pack, goes in the tub. The boots do not though. Since you loose (depending on who you listen to)75%-85% of your heat through your neck/head, my scarf's and hats get washed most often as they are also against your hair/skin, unlike your other clothes. For me, if it works, don't fix it. I did allot of "fixing" until I got to this point. Plastic garbage bags also really have a "plastic" odor to them, the tubs seem better to me and the deer are either used to it, or don't smell it. When I get up to ask the critter, they aren't talking anymore either. :grin: I mostly am a bowhunter, so hunting "cleaner" is easier than carrying muzzleloader eguip. I do use a seperate container and clothes for the gun hunting, because of the BP smells and cleaners, etc. But, guns are a little longer ranged than the bows, so it works well for them also. Many people will think this is all alot of work, just to go hunting. But to me it is worth, I always see deer within my shooting range, so I consider it a success. Sitting there all day seeing nothing, can be alot of work for nothing as well. :surrender:

dave I forgot to say that I still hunt and don't own a tree stand ,so I'm not sitting down long enough to slow circulation,not that I'm running through the woods either I hunt with my eyes trying to see the deer before they see me and then try to flank them using the wind in my favor, there isn't a right way or sure fire way to pull off fillin' a tag ,so I would say do what gives you the most confidence in the woods, the deer will smell,hear and maybe even see you that doesn't mean they can't be had.

tg bringing up a good point they like to play on your mind and get you to buy stuff that may not be needed ...i think sound hunting methods will prove more productive than any gimmic sold on the market today

I used to bow hunt, and I would bathe in baking soda, wash my clothes in it, and one time I was with my buddy in a meadow. I bugled and got a response, and two jack@#%$ were up the hill from us blowing what sounded like a crow call. Anyway, the bull answering me made a huge circle around those crow callers and walked into the meadow downwind from me. He was gorgeous! But I missed as usual. That's why I ml hunt now-I'm a rifleman. But I think that if you hunt with the least amount of scent on you as possible, and use the wind, things will happen.
Now I use the clothing wash that's time tested and nothing else.

Back