• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scent Masking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had two doe walk up the trail that my daughter and I used an hour before hand (rubber soled leather uppers - no rubber boots here). They were down wind the whole time and passed withing 10 yards of our blow down\ground blind. First doe got wind at about 20 yards, looked around a bit (she could clearly see our head and shoulders, but we just kept still) and then kept walking and munching acorns. She went past us inside of 10 yards and didn't seem particularly alarmed.

Nothing special was done with the hunting clothes. In fact, the boots and coats were washed and left sitting in the corner of the dining room for about the past month. with a cat and two dogs - not to mention all of the other household scents about.

I've never really hunted deer. Just bought a CVA Bobcat and and just now sighting it in. I do have coyote hunting experience. No orange when coyote hunting, all camoed up. Even eyes covered with a brown veil. No sent masking or anything. Shower like normal, sented deoderant, etc. Not really thinking about scents at all. Anyway last year, I'm out sitting against a tree, not moving. I'm calling with a rabbit distess call. No coyotes seen that day. After calling and waiting for about half an hour, out of the woods come about 6 does, no bucks. They're just wandering and eating. They don't have any clue that I'm there. One gets curious when I rabbit call. She walks right up to me. She is looking me right in the face like 2 foot in front of me. I could haved moved and grabbed her. I say "Hey" and she bolts. All the other does leave too. None of the deer even know I was there until I did that. It was the noise I was making that gave me away. If I hadn't made any noise they would have never even known I was there. So scent is not really that big a deal. Movement and noise will give you away.

Welcome!
I did the same thing one year turkey hunting. I thought that poor lit :haha: tle doe was gonna have a heart attack. Anybody who says animals don't have facial expressions is foolin themselves.

Back