• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scented Stumpy's Moose Snot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbsclohn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a good deal--75% off on cover scent used in hunting--Cedar scent and Earth scent.
Has anyone added these types of scent to Moose Snot?
If so, what amount?
Thinking of an extra advantage to the hunting season
Greg Lohn

Go ahead and put some in. Maybe a little bit of both so it smells like the tree and the mountain all at the same time?

I sometimes wonder about these extra advantages. Most likely the deer will smell the hunter long before (and in spite of) some cover scent (even if he has recently taken a bath, which is of course totally against the rules in any deer camp).

First question I always ask folks that use cover scents is" are there any of that where ya hunt"? Like - are there any cedar trees where ya hunt, if not then the scent will alert the deer to something strange in the area. Same goes with skunk or fox, ya usually only really smell a skunk -after- something has spooked it n they let a little stink as a warning or pretty much the same with fox, wearing that sort of stuff seems to me to be helping the deer figure out where ya are instead of hiding where yer sitten. If I use any sort a scent it will be a curiosity scent because deer are very curious of something that smells like a food source ie. vanilla, anise, apple, persimmon, but even with those use just a drop or two so they are not overwhelmed by the smell, strong smells mean something ain't quite right in my book. In areas near home that I frequent I have actually went out n placed an old worn sock in a bush n replaced(took it home to be washed) it every few days to let the deer get used to my personal scent so it didn't spook them come time, sounds crazy but it works, long as, like I said, its close to home n convienient for ya to do.Best all around advice is to spend some time in the woods before season n figure out where they are bedding n feeding n then get in between those two places. IMHO most gizmo hunting equip is more to get the hunter to spend money then to really make getting any game easier YMHS Birdman

The only sent I use is bottled vanilla from Mexico, good stuff. I don't use much, just a drop or two on my coat. I also eat 4 or 5 apples on my hunting treks in the woods and lay the cores on the ground around me in the woods. I've always done this routine. Just stay down wind from the deer and you won't have a problem, they live and survive there we just visit them for a shot, remember be smart in the woods & just use (common sense). They are...

I can't see any possible advantage to adding cover scent to Moose Snot. I think it would mess up the mix.

Put the cover scent on your clothes. It will serve you better there.

HD

look if it feels good than have fun and use it. I've seen guys come into camp with more gimmicks,and after all the decent and camo,$500.00 worth of no scent clothes, you would think they could give a navy seal some lessons on jungle warfare. then they walk through the woods carring a gun smelling of gun oil. i think some stuff out there is ok, but alot of it is :bull:

single shot said:
I've seen guys come into camp with more gimmicks,and after all the decent and camo, $500.00 worth of no scent clothes, you would think they could give a navy seal some lessons on jungle warfare. then they walk through the woods carring a gun smelling of gun oil. i think some stuff out there is ok, but alot of it is :bull:

Two words for them: "Down Wind" :haha:

Greg

"Got a good deal--75% off on cover scent used in hunting--Cedar scent and Earth scent.
Has anyone added these types of scent to Moose Snot? If so, what amount? Thinking of an extra advantage to the hunting season"

In all honesty, most people in your part of Texas who hunt use automatic corn feeders. The bag corn is sold at every convience store in Brady. Not sure what scented lube is going to get you. Even the white tail deer and axis deer wander the rifle range during the Texas State shoots 3 times a year.

RDE

Your choice, but I'm partikilar about what I leave set in the bore of my rifles . . . and scatterguns, too. If there is some acid or tar-forming goo in that cover scent you may pit the bore.

I've never put much faith in cover scents and I hunt where 10 and 15 yard shots while still hunting happen frequently. My recommendations are to keep your nose to the wind and start clean and unscented as possible. Cover scents just add more scents. A deer's nose is good enough to "see it all" and note "stinky human AND cedar" rather than "cedar".

Ever worked with anyone that tried to cover body odor with perfume? And a deer's nose is 50X your's (or better).

The only thing I ever did was to wash my hunting clothes in the creek out behind the house then hang them up on the clothes line outside to dry. Never use soap unless absolutely necessary. If you do use soap use unscented castile soap or similar.

I figure if cover scents really worked then everybody would be using them. Right? ;)

what did we ever do 40 years ago without all this fancy stuff? Back then red flannel shirt was the dress of the day. Oh yea we came home with deer to.

i use baking soda on dust my crotch, behind the knees, and ankles of my boots and pant legs. I will dust myself with forest debris and leaves If I believe that any car odors are sticking to me. I don't doubt that the deer can smell human scent. However, at least around here, where I hunt, they are very used to smelling us humans, at all times of the year, and I find that dusting myself with woods ash from a recent fire, or with leaves and dirt helps to confuse them as to WHEN I was there, as well as where I am now. The baking soda neutralizes a lot of raw human scent.

our scent comes from dead skin cells( rafts) falling off the back of our necks, our face, hands, wrists, and ankles. If you wear rubber boots, you can tuck your cuffs into the boots and hold the skin rafts inside the boot. Dusting the outside of rubber boots, or even using an attractant scent, like Doe In Heat, works, provided you don't use a lot. Stick a drop or two on the instep of the sole of the boot. That is enough. Because of the strong presence of hormones, and other human scents at your crotch, using Baking Soda to neutralize this scent area works. Most deer have a scent zone they test with their noses that is barely more than 3 feet high off the ground. Even a large buck has a hard time raising his nose high enough to smell an odor that is 5 feet off the ground. 5 feet is only chest high on me. So, the armpits get some baking soda, rather than scented deodorant, and I wear either a hooded sweatshirt/jacket/ or a parka in cold weather to help keep the heat off the back of my neck and head from dropping skin rafts all around me, and from the neck down. I cold weather I do wear a ski mask, but in the early season, I don't. Skip the toothpaste with the mint flavor, the mouthwash with mint flavor, or any other thing you normally do in the morning. Don't smoke. Don't eat food with strong spices to them- even cinnamon rolls-- and I do love them--- become a " lunch " extra, but are foregone in the morning. Eat an apple, provided apples are commonly grown in the area where you hunt. ( HINT: if they aren't, plant some seeds, and grow some apple trees. In about 20 years, you will have one of the best deer " magnets" you can find in the woods.)

IMHO, I think the scent thing is particular to the herd you are hunting. Some herds become desensitized to certain scents. As far as smoking goes, I've harvested at least a dozen deer within 15 to 20 minutes after smoking a cigarette :redface: , I've also seen deer eat a filterless butt! I've seen deer lick spit from chew. I've seen ads for a punk stick you burn to attract deer :confused: , though don't know if they work. This past season I watched an adult doe, a two yr old, and 2 yearlings bedded not more than 15 yards from me. No camo or cover scent. Minimal movement, but smoked three cigarettes, and they never spooked, watched them for three hours while they slept, fed, and groomed one another. This was also within 20 feet of a gurgling stream and the noise never bothered them. Oh, by the way, I had my smoke pole with me, so it's not always when your unarmed. Now I might not experience this kind of behavior in deer from up state, but the local deer are used to this kind of stimuli.
I feel common sense, minimal movement, and quiet have the most impact on your hunt, that and being able to hit what your aiming at. That's the kinda gun control I like!! :shocked2:
Don't fall for all the gimmicks and fads, save your money for more powder and balls, more practice means more fun.

Smoking just tells the deer you are in the area. If the deer have been under hunting pressure, or have been shot at before, they are likely to avoid you. Sitting still -- absolutely still--- makes you nothing more than another tree, with tobacco smoke on it. They know you are there, but don't fear you. Young deer have been known to walk right up to hunters sitting and smoking a cigarette, being curious. I have friends who have cut trees, and then burned them and good sized bucks have shown up to watch them cut and drag out the trees and branches to build a future burn pile, and then again shown up to watch it burn.

Where deer live around people, they become used to People smells. However, in true wilderness, Deer, Elk, Moose, Caribou, Antelope, etc. may not have been exposed to either fires or to smoking. Instead of being curious, their alarms go off, and they flee. There is NO RULE OF THUMB that can be applied to every hunting location in this country, much less across the globe.

I hunted Deer on a small farm along a river, on extremely Flat Farmland, for a couple of years. You could hear car traffic on a still morning on a highway more than a mile away. You could hear train cars banging into each other at a siding more than 3 miles away. Yet, when we had some wind, you could not hear the engine of a combine harvesting corn 1/2 miles away. The big Deer had a small swale on the neighbor's farm where they went and spent the entire day, as no one could approach them from any direction without them both seeing and hearing you. The only way to hunt any of them was to put blockers in the woods to the North, and then have drivers come at that swale from three directions, hoping to push the deer into the woods. It would have taken the combined efforts of about 8-12 hunters to get that done and then you might only see 3 deer taken, or fewer. They had another spot on the North side of the river, which consisted of grass covered low hills, that would be even worse terrain to hunt. You learn these things by Scouting the ground in detail long before hunting season, looking for " beds", and then determining if these are night beds, or day beds.

I am glad that Stumpkiller finally came on this topic to give his formula for his Moose juice again( see Beeswax based lube, a new thread just added here). I would not add any scenting compounds to it, but that is just me.

If anyone has been to the Heart of Texas and seen the amount of dead deer along the roadway,then you can imagine the deer in the pastures and fields.Over the past 15 years,I stopped counting the number of deer that committed suicide by hitting the vehicle I was driving. Most of the deer around here are used to humans and their smells since birth.The vast numbers of deer in the area around here make this area's biggest income in catering to hunters.There are far few "Public" places to hunt here and a season lease can run several thousand dollars a gun.
Like Richard Eames has witnessed,deer even come around to a rifle range DURING a shoot.

I just got a good deal on some scents and wondered if anyone has tried to make a good lube better-at least smell wise

Stumpkiller does have a wise and valid point. I will check on the chemical makeup of the scents to insure that there will be nothing harmful in the scents to corrode my barrel

Good answers and opinions on this topic
Thanks to all, :applause: :hatsoff:
Greg Lohn

Valid points, Paul. I guess that's why the Whitetail is said to be the most adaptable of all big game animals. They learn quickly and flourish in most any environment.

Back