• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Schutzen 3fg in .50 Green Mountain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Schutzen 3fg in a 42" .50 Green Mountain? If so, what loads seem best. This is a slow powder, but I have had excellent results in a .54 1817 Common Rifle.

Thanks!

I've used it in my southern mountain rifle with a 42" green mountain barrel and seems to like 70g of 3fg and has the same POI with 80g of 2fg. My gun seems to really like Schutzen.

Galen

Not in that particular model rifle. Have used in a custom .54 Jaeger with good results. Schutzen is fine powder. I do not understand the "slow" comment. What makes you think it burns slower than Swiss, Goex, others?

I use 3f Schuetzen in my 42 inch Green Mtn.50 cal barrel for target shooting. I use 50 grains and a prb for close targets (25 yards) and use 70 grains and prb for 50 yards.

I would say that any real black powder is "slow" if it is being compared to a modern smokeless powder.

In the confined bore, black powders burn rate doesn't accelerate drastically like smokeless powders do. This makes it ideal for muzzleloaders where the shooter may wish to radically change his powder load but doesn't want to have huge pressure spikes.

Anyway, Schutzen powder is a good black powder, I would reate it about the same quality as GOEX but not as good as Swiss. Of course it costs a whole lot less than Swiss. :hmm:

I have always been told the in the realm of black powders, schutzen does have a slower burn rate. Swiss tending to be one of the faster, then goex, then schutzen. For instance, in my .54 common rifle, what 62 grains of 3 fg Goex does, it takes 70 of schutzen 3fg. I was also told this by one of their sales reps. Being slow does not make it a bad or inaccurate powder, it is just a characteristic. I also believe that it is good in many respects. I have also found that it does not leave a pressure ring of crud in the barrel ahead of the breech like many other fast burning powders.

Just some thoughts.

I think a lot of that is because each powder throws a different amount from a measure. Like what I found the other day between three different powders, I measured 3 charges each using an antler powder measure made for me by a member here and this is what I got all from the same measure..

31.2 gr of KIK 3F
36.2 gr of Graf 3 F (Wano)
38.1 gr of Swiss 3 F

von Yeast said:
Has anyone tried Schutzen 3fg in a 42" .50 Green Mountain? If so, what loads seem best. This is a slow powder, but I have had excellent results in a .54 1817 Common Rifle.

Thanks!

I shoot 90 gr of FFF Swiss in my GM 50.

Dan

I think a lot of that is because each powder throws a different amount from a measure. Like what I found the other day between three different powders, I measured 3 charges each using an antler powder measure made for me by a member here and this is what I got all from the same measure..

31.2 gr of KIK 3F
36.2 gr of Graf 3 F (Wano)
38.1 gr of Swiss 3 F

Swampy, you make a very good point.
Which proves we should all really spend more time at the range testing, or dialing in, our guns and loads.

In the middle 80s I was very fortunate to be in the right place and at right time to have a custom .50 cal flintlock rifle made for me. The gun maker loaned me his chronograph and said to start with 2f and 3f whatever brand powders I could find. He also said to try .490, .495 and .50 round balls as well as whatever type of type patches and thickness I could find and the same for lubes. It took me a lot of hours at the bench to work up the best load with the best group and the most consistent velocity I could get. I think powder choice boils down to what your gun likes with whatever patch,lube and ball it likes best. I have some rifles that like 2f and some that like 3f. I think it works best if you try different grades and brands and find what your rifle likes.

Latest posts

Back