• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scored a Doe during ML season with my 72cal Kodiak!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goshawk

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was able to harvest this beautiful doe with my 72cal Kodiak.
PA180013.jpg

The shot was 44yds(Bushnell range finder), on the side of a fairly steep hill. I was 18’ up in my tree stand fighting the Sleep Gremlins when she appeared. Because of the steep angle I shot her at, the .690RB hit just below the spine about 3 ½”. It looks like the shot was higher, but it’s because the way the deer is laying. The RB went through the ribs, pulverizing a lung and proceeded out the other side. I saw her flip over through the smoke at the sound of the shot; it was lights out”¦.clean kill. I am very happy with the performance of the Kodiak and the .690RB

I shot the doe at 8:30 in the morning; by 12:30 that after noon we were enjoying the loins.
PA180030EatingDeer.jpg

Good Hunting
.690RB

Damn those Sleep Gremlins messs with you too??

Grats! really nice when you see them go down through the smoke like that. :thumbsup:

Great job. And the food looks good. Cant wait for our muzzleloader season to start here in Jersey. Nov. 30th.

HATE TO TELL YOU THIS 690RBBUT YOU KODIAK IS NOT LEGAL FOR THE MUZZLELOADER SEASON PA REGS SAY SINGLE BARREL FIREARMS LOOK ON PAGE 43 OF YOUR PA HUNTING DIGEST

bubba15301 said:
HATE TO TELL YOU THIS 690RBBUT YOU KODIAK IS NOT LEGAL FOR THE MUZZLELOADER SEASON PA REGS SAY SINGLE BARREL FIREARMS LOOK ON PAGE 43 OF YOUR PA HUNTING DIGEST

Ok Ok, you don't have to shout it loud enough for the Game Wardens to hear it! :wink:

Congrats. That a good looking skinhead.
As for using the double, I see nowhere that says it was shot in PA.

We have an early doe season here in sept. before regular rifle and muzzleloader seasons. I wish they would run muzzleloader before regular rifle but the powers that be won't hear of it.During the ML season it is usually -15 or so and last year my thumb stuck to the hammer when I cocked my rifle, and my jacket was so cold it sounded like I was wearing a giant dorito bag, scared alot of deer.

Congrats-good shooting...the back staps look awesome on the plate!

I stopped at a cabela's and they had that same rifle in the rack. I realy liked the weight of that rifle..have one question.it had 2 sights on the center rib one infront of the other..how do you sight that in?I would think a ball that size would leave a good impression on whitetails...Enjoy the fall...Dan

Nice doe!

Yea, and----I think they should ONLY have:

1) Bow season - 2.5 months
2) Muzzleloader Traditional - 1.5 months
3) Modern Guns (including those darn cheating inline, modern, front loaders with things like bolt actions and high powered scopes) - 1 week

And bow could start 2 weeks before traditional muzzleloaders, then a month of BOTH together, and THEN a month of bow again and THEN a week for the lunatics with the M-16's and INLINE BOLT ACTION high powered scoped front end loaders.

To all, Thanks for the kind words.

Swampy,
I hate to admit it but I love to nap in the woods, no I mean hunt!!!!”¦ especially from tree stands w/the-shooting rails. It is truly a peaceful time for me no matter how cold it is”¦..LOL
Due to my occasional napping, I always strap myself in. I have found a secure vest style that doesn’t interfere too much and is comfortable.

Dan,
I use the front blade for 50yds and the rear for 100yds. My gun/load seems to put a ball about 8 to 9” low at 80yds when using the 50yrd sight. I would just hold on the top of the back. Where my tree stands are located right now I don’t think I could shoot past 65-70yds anyway. The gun shoots really well at 100yds so I sighted in the second sight at that range just incase a longer than normal shot did present itself I would not have to use any hold over.
I took a few pic’s of the entrance and exit wounds.

I would post them but I think they might be a little graphic.

I can’t wait for Buck and Bear Season!

.690RB

Back