• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

screw-barrel jaeger?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the answer to your question IS flintlock rifles. Please do not be so vague if you hold the answer to your question. I am at a total loss as to what you are attempting to not say. :confused:

I think the original Author of the Screw-Barreled Jaegers, was misinformed. I cannot see any practical benefit to a barrel in that configuration in that era.
My guess, is it was hearsay. Not verifiable, unless something else has been written on the subject. You have to remember, that during this same period, a great many of the populace still thought that standing garbage, created flies, and that Kings were living Gods.
Now, if we're talking 20th Century Sniper rifles,
yes, I did own a change barrel .308 - .300 Win. Mag.?!?!
The only other explanation, to me possibly would be a rifle that would have a new barrel installed, in a different caliber, along with a new the plug being re-installed. Say something like a .58 cal. being converted to a .62 or .75?
Something that an experienced Armorer of the period, would be able to do.
Just my thinking out loud...

Rifleman1776 the name of this forum is "The Muzzleloading Forum", Firearms>>Flintlock Rifles and the name of this thread is "screw-barrel jaeger". Are you trying to say we are straying too far from the subject of "screw-barrel jaeger"?

While that is possible I personally don't feel that is so. I believe the posters are tyring to explain what may have led W. Cleator to have made the (mis)statement quoted. The expanded quote shows that Mr. Cleator had at least limited knowledge of the methods of breach loadng a firearm at that time but he had little knowledge of the application and history of these methods.

Are you trying to say we are straying too far from the subject of "screw-barrel jaeger"?

No. I am sayin we are straying too far from the purpose of the forum, to discuss muzzleloading firearms.
Fergusons and screw breeches are not muzzle loaders and would be better suited for the general or an off-topic section.

So exactly how are we supposed to respond to Spence's original question about "screw-barreled" rifles without mentioning screw-barreled breech loading rifles or pistols?

dave

Rifleman1776 said:
Fergusons and screw breeches are not muzzle loaders and would be better suited for the general or an off-topic section.
I understand your point. I didn't mean to open up a topic on screw-barrel anything. In my original post I just asked a simple question, "Anybody know about this?". I was only looking for a yes/no answer, but you know how that goes.

Will one of the moderators please move this to wherever it is more appropriate?

Spence

I think I am speaking for the rest of the moderators as well as my self when I say that your concern for the content of the topics on the forum is noble and well intended, it is the job of the moderators to figure out whether a topic should be left where it is or moved to a different forum area.

This particular topic is in my mind borderline.
I decided to leave it here in the flintlock area because it deals with the type of flintlock jaegers used by the German Mercenaries during the Revolutionary War and whether those guns were indeed the muzzleloaders we all know or something else.

Because there is no way to discuss the topic without getting into the very early breech loaders designs and known uses I have the option of doing several things.
I can totally blow away the topic.
I can move the topic to the non-muzzleloading area.
I can lock the topic.
I can let it ride.

At the moment I think I'll let it ride. If Claude or one of the other moderators decides to move it or lock it that will be their decision.

Seems perfectly appropriate to me Spense but I joined to participate not to criticize.

The name of this thread is " Flintlock Rifles" Screw breech and Ferguson rifles are Flintlock Rifles. In the Pistol thread we talk about cap and ball revolvers. They are not muzzle loaders. To me the point seems kind of moot.

Back