• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sealing around the Frizzen Pan??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTdeerhunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I think I remember reading somewhere??? about how some people would seal the junction between the frizzen and the pan during wet or stormy weather. Is this HC, and if so what was the process and materials used?

Beeswax and a cow's knee kept 'ole betsy in fine shooting order during a deer season that had a misty rain everyday all day. Kept the same load for all season, ten days. Mr. buck didn't cooperate, so when shooting off the load at the end of the season, 'ole betsy went boom. Also kept the lock under my arm. Muzzle had a piece of black tape stuck over it.

If the frizzen fits the pan properly and the lock fit to the barrel is good you won't have an issue. If you get caught in a gully washer tuck the lock under your arm pit or make yourself a cows knee to protect your lock. A piece of tape over the muzzle in damp weather is also a good idea.

I remember someone recommending using ChapStick. Don't remember how it is applied, whether straigh fro the stick or going from stick to finger to pan.

I have to agree with ebiggs on this one. As long as the pan cover fits as it should nothing needs to be done. Keep it under your arm or covered with your coat if you must and you'll have no problem.

It may have been done in the past, I prefer a cover or keeping the gun uinder my armpit/wide shirt sleeve. with the barel always pointed down a bit.I hunt in the NW Oregon coastal Mts. in Nov which is a pretty good test of water proofing anything and have found my method to work very well, I May not get to reload unless I find a big Cedar tree or such but the first shot always goes off. I have never covered the muzzle with anything or built a dam or sealed the frizzen, it is just a lot of work that I have not found to be needed myself.

I use bees wax. I roll it into a thin thread, and place it around the pan. Close the frizzen, and put a string of bees wax between the barrel and frizzen, press it in place. never had a problem with rain!

Bill K said:
I remember someone recommending using ChapStick. Don't remember how it is applied, whether straigh fro the stick or going from stick to finger to pan.

Straight from the lips. :doh:

Could have been worse,he might have used Preperation H :blah: :blah: :grin:

No, PH is what they use to lube the south end of breechloaders

I use a dab of mink oil between the frizzen and barrel, and a cow's knee to cover the lock. I've hunted in all day drizzle, and keeping the lock under one's arm all day is uncomfortable. I'd rather go overboard than have a misfire when that big buck shows up. :2

Thanks guy's...I found the book I read it in and it also said tallow and/or bees wax. I do use a cows knee that I made, but also do some trek hunts, out for a few days at a time and there are times when you have to put the gun down (set-up camp, cooking and such) and can't keep it under your arm...was just thinking out loud about what to do if I lost the cows knee (other than make a new one that is....)

If you have the lock under your arm why do you need a lock cover?? I have hunted all day in drizzling rain and never needed a lock cover or tape over the muzzle. I either put my left hand over the lock or carry it under my armpit with the muzzle down.

I never went the "seal the pan route"...took another approach.
For getting caught in light sprinkles or in heavy humidity, I just hold the lock area up under the bottom of my coat / rain jacket.
If it’s raining heavier, I pull out the rain cover in the photo below:

4010210VirginiaRainCoveropen.jpg

3010210VirginiaRainCoverclosed.jpg

I have used both candle wax or Burts Bees lip balm to seal a pan in the rain. I remove the lock, put a bead on inside lock around the pan where it mates with the barrel. After installing lock I put a bead around rim of pan, then after priming, I seal the junction between frizzen and barrel.

I have hunted all day in a downpour and my flinters still fire using this method. I do a lot of still hunting, and find it difficult to move through the woods quietly negotiating brush and deadfalls while keeping the lock tucked under an arm or coat. I do use a cows knee as well, but find they can work in a drizzle, but in a full out rain, moisture gets into the prime without sealing the pan.

The last deer I killed with a flintlock was on a very wet day, with a frizzen sealed with Burts Bees lip balm, which contains bees wax.

Latest posts

Back