• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SEASONING BARREL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghartung

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'M BUILDING A .45 CAL FLINTLOCK, DO I HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO THE INSIDE OF THE BARREL BEFORE I START TO SHOOT IT FOR THE FIRST TIME? SHOULD I POUR OIL DOWN IT AND LET IT SIT FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS TO PROTECT IT? I WANT TO TREAT IT RIGHT FROM THE START. THANKS BOWDAWG

I'M BUILDING A .45 CAL FLINTLOCK, DO I HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO THE INSIDE OF THE BARREL BEFORE I START TO SHOOT IT FOR THE FIRST TIME? SHOULD I POUR OIL DOWN IT AND LET IT SIT FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS TO PROTECT IT? I WANT TO TREAT IT RIGHT FROM THE START. THANKS BOWDAWG

Well, IMO, the last thing in the world you want to do is pour oil into the bore and let it soak...oil causes major fouling with BP residue...instead, you want to get the bore absolutely squeaky clean and pull out all remnants of petroleum products, etc.

There's a number of ways to do that...one tried and true way is simply to use steaming hot soapy water, patches, bronze bore brush, etc, to leach everything out. Then get it 100% bone dry, then plaster it with lube, preferrably with some sort of non-petroleum natural lube.

Again, there are many ways to skin a cat, but this is one way that will let you shoot entire ranges sessions without wiping between shots...just have to discipline yourself to 100% clean it, 100% dry it, and 100% lube it after every time you've taken it out shooting.
:redthumb:

Modern steel barrels don't season. They are not like cast iron and do not need to be treated as such. Clean the barrel well before shooting. You might want to try some spray on brake cleaner to get any factory grease out of the barrel. After it is clean put a coat of oil on it. Remove the oil with an alchol soaked patch before loading it. After finished shooting it, clean it good with water and dry well. I use a moisture displacer after that, WD-40, and then if it is going to set for a long time oil it good.

Hmmmm...well, I'd keep the barrel lightly oiled by running a lightly oiled patch down the bore periodically. Also I would keep the barrel in the house, if you are building the rifle in the garage or a shop without constant heat.

Don't think you really want to "pour" in oil and fill the barrel up with oil for any reason.

Breaking in or seasoning a barrel is a whole other matter. I don't do much more than maybe run some steel wool down the barrel a few times on a bore brush, well oiled of course. Some just shoot it. Some barrels come finished inside pretty good when new, some don't.

As far as steel-wooling, or lapping a barrel, that can be over done pretty easy, so easy does it. The idea is not to half wear out the barrel before you shoot it! Really just want to knock down any burrs left over from the rifling machine.

At any rate keep your barrel clean and lightly oiled just as you would with any firearm.

There is a method some use to "season" a barrel, but I'll leave that to others to explain as it requires certain cleaning techniques that I don't use.

Rat

Oh goodie. A can of worms. :haha:

If you're just starting to build, grease the barrel well with a heavy gun grease. If you build at my speed it may be two years before you're ready to shoot it.

Before you shoot it, flush it out well with WD-40 (to dissolve the grease) and then acetone to remove any last WD-40. Then, wipe it with a little penetrating oil like Rem-Oil or Kroil followed by a well lubed patch containing Natural Lube or equivalent (like Stumpy's Moose Snot). Before you take it to the range, run a dry patch, and then flip the patch inside out, very lightly lube it and wipe several times to form an even THIN coating of lube.

Personally, I don't go for the "season" philosophy. I want the bore spick & span clean and then a light coating of lube just before I use it. No matter what you cook with (cast iron, aluminum or steel) you lube it BEFORE you cook. :winking: I scrub my cast iron skillets, burn off the moisture and then wipe them lightly with olive oil before I put them away. I then wipe them again before I heat them up. Nothing sticks and they cook just fine.

My sister-in-law leaves a skillet on the back of the stove and brings it forward to cook, putting it back without removing it from the stove when she's done. I guess the cats get the larger chunks of food still in it overnight. I don't eat there anymore.

Oh goodie. A can of worms. :haha:

I don't eat there anymore.

Stumpkiller was it the can of worms or the moose snot you insisted she use for greasin da skillet!
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :youcrazy:

As far as steel-wooling, or lapping a barrel, that can be over done pretty easy, so easy does it. The idea is not to half wear out the barrel before you shoot it! Really just want to knock down any burrs left over from the rifling machine.

Rat [/quote]

Using steel wool? Doesn't that require steel sheep? Actually, the steel wool not only knocks down any burs kicked up by rifling, but it reduces the sharpness of the lands so you don't cut your patches when loading. Steel wooling the barrel makes a big difference.

Yep, it comes from a herd of steel sheep that Iron Man owns. Iron man is the guy that has rust stains on his...oh never mind.

Rat

Yep, it comes from a herd of steel sheep that Iron Man owns. Iron man is the guy that has rust stains on his...oh never mind.

Rat

I always thought they were special sheep bred in low humidy conditions out west and kept in humidity controlled buildings so they don't rust.

why was my reply earlier deleted??????? :curse:

Bushwhacker...I can only give you the following:
1) I have no idea;
2) Why in the world are you asking me...I'm not a moderator?

:hmm:

why was my reply earlier deleted???????

Weren't me. I don't recall seeing anything offensive, either.

I'd a PM'd you if I was going to ZOT! your post. I don't often do that in any case.

If you're not insulting a newbie or giving unsafe advice you really have to try to get me to yank a post. Just remember that there are little eyes that sometimes view these messages and we're a family entertainment. Keep it upbeat and "clean."

are you sure you hit the submit at the end of the second screen? I done that one a couple times, posted the message and instead of hitting submit I hit the main menu and lost my post. just curoius

Dangggggggggggg. Now ya got me thinking I'm going crazy :no:

Must be inhaling too much bp smoke :shocking:

I think the Bushwhacker has been bush-whacked by the evil cyber spirits.

:hmm:

Rat

Back